Why does the pope swear abstinence?

Why does the pope and other religious people see sex as a sinful act which should be avoided. I mean sex is one of the very few things that make people feel great, and is still healthy. For example drugs, and most good tasting foods (MCdonalds, although I know thats down to opinoion), driving fast (thrills etc) are all bad for you, but sex feels great and helps burn calories and can also help to reduce body pains. So why does the pope think that one of the few things god put on this earth which are actully good for you, is a bad thing?

Favorite Answer

Look at the Pope. All the roofies in the world couldn't get that guy laid. He has no choice but to be abstinent. And he's so angry about it, he tries to make everybody else swear off sex too. He's a mean bitter old man.

They don't see it as something that's bad, but they have made the decision to remain celibate so that they can focus on God. They see it as dedicating their life to God as opposed to adding the distraction that having a family can sometimes bring. I say them because it's not just the pope. It is also nuns and members of the priesthood who make this decision. They don't look down upon other members who choose to get married and have sex. I don't personally agree with this decision. God calls all of us to get married and start a family. As he said in Genesis, it's not good for man to be alone.

Roman Catholic priests are supposed to be celibate. There are several reasons for this (most of which I don't personally agree with, but....). It is true though, that celibate people can often put that sexual energy into other pursuits. I have known celibates who could accomplish amazing things.

Also, sex is not just physical, as you seem to be suggesting. It is also emotional, and at it's best, spiritual. For Catholics, marriage is the union of two people, becoming one, and sharing their bodies is part of that It is not merely for recreation. In that, I tend to agree with the Catholics.

Catholics are taught that sexuality is a gift from God, but, not one to be misused. (I took a course in Sexual Ethics in a Catholic seminary, and that's what I was taught.) But, priests are required to refrain from sex, and the Pope is a priest, so, the rules apply to him to.

Yh he does each and every of the time, each and every time I pass to him he swears like a trooper ' Sarcasm rolls eyes'. No the Pope isn't Jewish, and no the pope isn't interior the habit of swearing. customary perception of what would not make what precise?.

He forgot about the word of his God,BE FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLY.However i suppose that could happen if the God so decided,you can multiply and not have Sex.I take that back,science lets us do that now.Happy New Year.See you december 22.

The Catholic Church is completely divorced from reality. They bask in obscene wealth while millions exist in poverty.

And 'original sin' is surely the most utterly evil concept in human history.

Source(s): Atheist

So the focus on their prayers and what ever the pope needs to do.

You would be shocked if you saw what they get up to behind locked doors.

He swears, but doesn't practice...don't you read the papers?

Source(s): --It is the soldier, above all others, that prays for peace. For it is he that must bear the wounds and scars of war. - MacArthur --I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are nothing like your Christ - Gandhi.

No idea.