Lark
Lv 7
Lark asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 7 years ago

What are your favorite baby names that belong to literary characters, historical icons, musicians, and artists?

On Thanksgiving my lovely stepmom announced to the family that she is pregnant, and that has revived my childhood fascination with names. I used to keep a journal of names I loved from books, television shows and movies, singers, artists, and daily encounters with people who had monikers I liked, but I haven't had much of an interest in them for years. I thought it would be fun to ask those of you who "collect" baby names about some of your favorites.

What is your favorite name that belongs to:

~ A character in a book

~ A historical figure or icon (such as Theodore Roosevelt, Queen Victoria, or Abigail Adams)

~ A musician

~ An artist (visual or performing)

Bonus questions ~

What are the names that you love from

~ Months or seasons of the year

~ Places (cities, countries, regions, parks, imaginary locations like Narnia --- feel at liberty here to use anyplace)

~ TV shows or movies

~ The dictionary (any word that isn't typically used as a name, such as kindred or serene)

~ Poetry

~ Nature (flowers, for example)

~ Jewels

~ History (such as names popular during the Renaissance or another time period)

~ A culture other than your own

Update:

MAZZY!!! I've missed you!!!! My favorite name that is the same as a musical instrument is Viola. There is a violin brand called Skylark. : )

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Firstly, congratulations on becoming a big sister again :) Aww...that is lovely news!!!

Secondly... a great big HELLO to you!!! :)))

Ok...here goes!

What is your favorite name that belongs to:

~ A character in a book

... Atticus Finch from To Kill A Mockingbird. (I've always loved Scout too!)

~ A historical figure or icon (such as Theodore Roosevelt, Queen Victoria, or Abigail Adams)

... Amelia Earhart

~ A musician

... LOL, I seriously came *this close* to naming my little boy Edge from U2!!! Mazzy Star is also a favourite, & Wilco :)

~ An artist (visual or performing)

Ansel Adams and Duff Goldman <---how cool is that name??!!!

What are the names that you love from

~ Months or seasons of the year

..April and Winter

~ Places (cities, countries, regions, parks, imaginary locations like Narnia --- feel at liberty here to use anyplace)

... Milan, Seoul, Atherton (QLD) Limerick, Sydney & Byron

~ TV shows or movies

... Rove, Dougal (from Father Ted! :P) , Finley, (which is one of my ALL time fave names.)

~ The dictionary (any word that isn't typically used as a name, such as kindred or serene)

..Jameson (after the whiskey), Banjo, Luna, Tallon

(this was a hard one!!!)

~ Poetry

...Dylan Thomas & Emily Bronte

~ Nature (flowers, for example)

...Poppy, Daisy, Lily, Sky, River, Indigo, Wren, Shelly, Willow

~ Jewels

...Jade, Ruby, Jewel

~ History (such as names popular during the Renaissance or another time period)

Leonardo De Vinci

~ A culture other than your own

Native American, as I like how their names are often derived from nature and/or animals.

~ Extra question for you!!! Favourite name which is a musical instrument :)))

Hope you are well Skylark ... will drop you a long and over due email before Christmas I promise! xx

• Amelia
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

Character: Owen and Annabel from Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

Historical Figures: Eleanor (Roosevelt) and Reagan (Ronald Reagan)

Musician: Tom (Petty) and Demi (Lovato)

Artist: Andy (Warhol)

Month: April

Places: Sydney, London, Anna Maria, Hudson

Movies: Hanna

I can't think of any from the dictionary, but I like your Viola (:

Jewels: Emerald (Emma) Perridot (Perrie)

Nature: Skye, Rose, Lily

Sorry, some of these are really random haha (-:

• 7 years ago

Book character - Dorian & Cordelia

Historical figure -

Musician -

Artist -

Months/seasons - August & Summer

Places - Jackson & Virginia

Shows/movies -

Dictionary - West & Echo

Poetry -

Nature - Robin & River

Jewels - Jasper (m)

History - Mortimer & Astrid

Culture -

• 7 years ago

Vada-My Girl

Cash, Fallon, Francesca, Miles, & Sabella-Colbys

Markie-Night Court

Jersee-Coyote Ugly

Axel, Halen, Jagger, Journey, Jovi, Lennox, & Stevie-music

December

Sunday

Ireland, Madison, Indianna

Rain

Iris, Rose, & Violet

Hazel

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

One of the characters in Losing Joe's Place by Gordon Korman is named Ferguson Peach...

I always wanted to see a mixed American/German couple named April and August. Preferably two of theirs would be named Mae and June.

They could have a December wedding (in Ohiowa, Nebraska) and invite January Jones.

Some of my favorites are Rubina (roo-bee-nuh), Colette, Celia, Ruby, Annette and Anisa (uh-nee-suh).

Probably my favorite is an old Irish name, Roisin (row-sheen).

Source(s): "Oops! It looks like you have 7 misspelling(s)..."
  • Alana
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Girl: Becky (Confessions of a Shopaholic) // Boy: Ronald (Harry Potter)

Girl: Victoria (Queen Victoria) // Boy: James (King James I)

Girl: Amy (Amy Whinehouse) // Boy: Dylan (Bob Dylan, I know it's his last name, but I hope it counts because it's a great name)

Girl: I don't know :(

Girl: April, Summer, December // Boy: November, August

Girl: Charlotte, Adelaide, Vienna, Luna (can the moon be conidered a place?), Alexandria, Ireland, Bristol // Boy: Jackson, Yale, Brazil, Brooklyn

Girl: Amelia (Private Practice), Hanna, Emily (Pretty Little Liars), Kate (No Reservations and many others), Gracie (According to Jim) // Boy: Alexander, Derek, Owen (Grey's Anatomy), Toby (Pretty Little Liars)

Girl: Lyric, Honey, Love // Boy: I don't know...:(

Girl: Rhyme, Sappho // Boy. Poem

Girl: Daisy, Rainy // Boy: Storm, River

Girl: Amber, Sapphire // Boy: Emerald

I don't know...

I'm Italian, but I've been writing English names... so I guess I can give you some of my favorite Italian names: Girl: Maddalena, Carlotta, Sabrina // Boy: Matteo, Luca, Alessandro

• 7 years ago

Juniper

Alexander

Julian

Monet

BQ:

~ I've become quite fond of October and November.

~ I love Adelaide, Calliope, Calais, Cairo, Alexandria, and Avalon.

~ Claudia, Cordelia, Helena, Veronica, Henry, Daniel, Zane, Wesley, Inigo, Isobel, Ambrose, and Azkadellia (yeah, I know it's crazy).

~ Fable, Crimson, Aspen, Poet, and Tempest.

~ I've always kind of like the idea of Coleridge after Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

~ Juniper, Lily, Violet, Rose, Calla, Azalea, Aspen, River, and Sage.

~ Topaz, I guess, and sometimes Emerald is okay.

~ Cordelia, Ingrid, Imogen, Ambrose, and Theodore.

~ That's probably most of them, but favourites would be Saoirse, Caoimhe, Orla, Calliope, and Evadne.

• 7 years ago

Character: Gage (from Pet Sematary by Stephen King); Camille (from an original novel my friend is writing and planning to publish); Hannibal (Hannibal books)

Historical figure: Lyndon (Johnson); Adolf (Hitler; and yes I just love the name not the guy lol); Abraham (Lincoln); Ivan (some czar); Katharine (a ton)

Musician: Enya; Marshall (Eminem); Roy (Orbison)

Artist: Oscar (Monet); Andrew (Lincoln); Henry (Henri Rousseau); Liam (Neeson)

BQ:

Months/Seasons: April; Autumn

Places: Niagara (Falls, New York, USA); Galatea (one of Neptune's moons); Paris (France)

TV shows/Movies: Shane (from The Walking Dead); Dorian (from The Mask); Delila (from Homeword Bound); Malik/Marik (from Yu-Gi-Oh!); Bane (from The Dark Knight Rises); Seraphina (from The Lion King); Gregory (from House, MD); Giovanni (Pokemon); Leia (Star Wars); Anakin (Star Wars); Alfred (Batman)

Dictionary: Bane (it's actually my friend's name, plus the Batman character, so I assume it's actually a name even though it's a word); Infinity (another friend named her daughter this); Arsenique (French word for 'arsenic'); Krane (crane); Rune; Ash; Juke

Poetry: Raven (The Raven by E.A. Poe); Odysseus (The Odyssey by Homer)

Nature: Nova; Azalea; Forrest; Luna; Rayne; Raven; Aurora; Kitty; Rocky; Arsenique; Estelle ('star' in French)

Jewels: Amethyst; Pearl; Crystal/Krystal; Onyx; Ruby; Opal; Amber; Jade

Culture: Giovanni (Italian); Estelle (French); Enya (English translation of the Irish name Eithne); Xylyss (no idea where it's from I just think it looks badazz lol); Adolf (German); Dorian (Greek); Sven (Russian); Zalika (my name! :D Egyptian); Xayne (Native American name pronounced the same as Shane); Kirghiz (Arabic); Shadi (Arabic); Selina (Spanish or Italian I think); Serafina (African I think); Nicholai/Nikolai (Russian); Malik (Arabic); Aimee (French); Karl (German); Kiara (African I think); Barsad (Arabic); Anton (German); Aaliyah (Arabic); Anastasia (Russia); Xavier (French), Athena (Greek)

God that was hard!! Nice question!!!

• G
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

Christian - my son was named after Christian in "Once Upon a Marigold" :)

Benjamin - if my baby is a boy he will be named Benjamin Thomas after Ben Franklin/Thomas Jefferson :)

Jude - IDK if this counts but my son Jude was named after Jude in the musical Across the Universe :)

Georgia - Georgia O'Keefe

January, June

Vienna, Charlotte, Aurora, Alexandria

Ivy from nature

Isaac from Isaac Newton, Francis from Ben Franklin's son

Anastasia from Russia, Soraya from the Middle East

:)

• 7 years ago

I would love to cooperate Jacqueline Kennedy into a babies name. I also love the name Sydney and Georgia.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.