Cheri asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 7 years ago

Classic American cuisine?

Okay, I'm looking for cuisine that is native to certain areas. You have New England Clam Chowder for New England, New York thin crust pizza for New York, Chicago has their deep dish pizza, Louisiana has tons of dishes like Gumbo, Texas for their BBQ. What other dishes are there native to a certain state or area? I know there is certain sandwiches and things like that. I'm looking for more classic dishes to introduce into my meal plans! Thanks!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You've got a good list going so far. Here's a few more to consider:

*NYC

-Hot pastrami sandwiches on rye bread

-Lox, bagels & cream cheese

-Street corner hotdogs

*Maryland-Blue crabs

*Louisville, KY-The Hot Brown Sandwich & the Derby Pie

*New Mexico- "Stacked" enchiladas: the tortillas are left whole and stacked up like pancakes with cheese & lettuce and enchilada sauce on top of it. Also, New Mexico is famous for Green Chile...especially from the town of Hatch, New Mexico.

*Washington (Pacific Northwest Region)-Salmon

*San Francisco:

-"Cioppino" (pronounced: Chop-ee-no) -a hearty seafood stew made from clams, fish, crab, shrimp, mussels all nestled in a bowl filled with a tomato based broth

-Dungenous Crabs: Large hardshelled crabs

-Sourdough Bread

*Boston-Lobsters/Lobster roll (a lobster salad served in a soft bread roll)

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Both the Dem's' and re pubs' can not often agree on something even when they want the equal factor. Except you go to c-span you will no longer see a lot coverage of third occasion candidates. Colossal companies make giant contributions to candidates they support,you're restricted in how a lot that you could donate to a candidate in my opinion. Enterprises set up committees and organizations to aid and fund candidates. The contemporary chapter legal guidelines have been written via the banking industry for congress to make into legislation and it bit them within the butt. The opposite quandary is that some persons vote for 1 get together always,both for the reason that they support that party at all times and believe it is the best celebration to do whats proper,or they're dissatisfied with the other celebration for some cause. Both parties want it their means and can compromise some to get their approach. If what I learn on the net final night time is even half of genuine,this election may not matter anyway. If now we have a further assault like 9-11 or a predominant disaster before the elections F.E.M.A . Will take manipulate and George Bush will turn out to be the genuine power of presidency. If it happens after the elections and before the brand new president takes workplace,I have no idea what is going to occur. G.W. Signed an govt order for the continuity of presidency and F.E.M.A. Will take over and suspend the constitution and the President would be the solidarity executive. Congress and the Supreme court will still exist however can have very little voice,the President has the final say in all issues. There was additionally one more website talking concerning the formation of the North American Union (Canada,U.S. And Mexico forming a union just like the E.U. And the U.S. Constitution can be gone.

• 7 years ago

America is really not that old to have "classic" anything let alone cuisine. From the 50s, the diner meat loaf & mashed potatoes was the standard or an open face hot beef sandwich. At home, it might have been a can of pork & beans and a can of peaches for dessert. Then the Swanson's TV dinner took over and became a standard with that bitsy 2 bites of dessert in the center. How about the Campbell's Tomato Soup of Andy Warhol fame? That is American cuisine. The Cheese Hamburger, The Hot Dog, the Philly Cheese Steak... that is all we have got. and then there is the state fair varieties..

Most of our favs are really borrowed or brought from the homeland of our ancestors and then embellished.

• 7 years ago

The Carolinas, Alabama, and other areas of the deep south are known for things like shrimp and grits. In addition to barbeque, Texas has Tex-Mex ("Mexican" food that isn't exactly traditionally Mexican). All of the South prides itself on dishes like fried chicken, fried catfish, chicken fried steak (we like to fry stuff lol)

The midwest is known more for warm and hearty meat-on-your-bones meals like the standard meat and potatoes stuff.

California tends to be cool and trendy: lots of salad creations come out of California.

Southwestern flavors are known for spiciness similar to Tex-Mex.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Um, sorry to burst your bubble but pizza isn't exactly native to any part of the United States.

• 7 years ago

Americans are crazy about fast food.

So I say a quarter pounder burger and fries

Source(s): General knowledge.
  • 7 years ago

You need to watch "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives".

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

check out that link

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.