Anonymous

Astronomy or Marine Biology?

I love both and I wanna be a Marine Biologist or an Astronomer...but I don't know which one to pick. I wanna learn more about oceans yet I wanna learn more about outer space.

So yeah, which is more fun?

• eri
    Favorite Answer

Both jobs require a PhD to work in the field (PhD in marine bio or a PhD in astronomy, astrophysics, or physics). Major in either bio or physics in college, then apply to graduate programs in marine bio or astronomy/astrophysics/physics. Either way you're looking at 8-12 years of college. Neither have a ton of jobs open, so you don't get much choice over where you live, and even though you'll spend more time in college than a medical doctor, neither field will make you rich.

If you didn't plan on getting a PhD and just wanted a bachelors degree, marine bio is more likely to get you a job in the field (working at an aquarium) than astronomy, since there are far more aquarium jobs than there are jobs for someone who can't do original research in astronomy.

Source(s): astrophysicist

Would you rather work at an aquarium or a science centre? Personally I like science centres more. Mankind knows less than 1% about both topics so I'm sure there are many more discoveries to come whichever one you choose.

Pay wise, realistically, you are looking at top salary of 50k. This is a postdoc research scientist salary who works at a planetarium. Best case scenario is you get your phd and become a professor at a university. This is 80-120k salary, which is fairly decent. The sabbaticals are nice too.

Source(s): glassdoors