When exactly did the disciples receive the Holy Spirit? John 20:22 or Acts 2?

Just before his ascension Jesus breathed on the apostles and said ''Receive the Holy Spirit.'' (John 20:22).

But he left clear instructions just before he left,

''Tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.'' (Luke 24:49).

Acts 1 and 2 suggests that this promise was fulfilled on the day of pentecost. What then was John 20:22 all about?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best Answer

Who would you believe Jesus or men? Would you believe Jesus in John 20:22 or men in a book that was made only to glorify Peter and Paul. (Acts of the Apostles)

Peter was to tarry in Jerusalem but Peter convinced those that were with him to "GO FISHING"

Believe the words of Jesus, rather then the words of men. Don't fall for their words when they do not use the actual words "JESUS SAID". You know in your heart the real words of Jesus compared to false words spoken by men in attempts to deceive you. Satan mixes lies with truth so you will believe him.

• 7 years ago

In John 20:22 they receive the Holly Spirit and in Acts 2 they where invested with the power of the Holly Spirit.

John 20:22  Having said this He breathed upon them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit.

Check Acts 1:8 bellow.

Acts 1:6  Once when they were with Him, they asked Him, "Master, is this the time at which you are about to restore the kingdom of Israel?"

7  "It is not for you," He replied, "to know times or epochs which the Father has reserved within His own authority;

8  and yet you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judaea and Samaria and to the remotest parts of the earth."

• 7 years ago

Good question!

Luk 24:49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

Notice the words; "send" & "upon you"

Jesus was going to send the disciples the Holy Spirit for them to receive.

John 20:22 is where they RECEIVED the Holy Spirit.

Joh 20:22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

Now, in Acts 1:5 we read:

Act 1:5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

Jesus said to his disciples that they will be baptized, or totally immersed with the Holy Ghost. The reason is stated in verse 8:

Act 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

"upon you" & "baptize" have similar meanings.

Now in Acts chapter 2, we see that "power" of the Holy Spirit did for the disciples:

Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Act 2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

Act 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

God performed a miracle right in front of everyone. (but it was not the miracle of "speaking in tongues" as the pentecostals claim) (read on and you'll see)

There were seventeen different languages represented here, and the Bible says, "how hear we every man in our own tongue...?"

The disciples spoke, and through the power of the Holy Spirit, those people representing seventeen different languages, HEARD in their OWN language.

The miracle was not in the "speaking" but in the HEARING!

verse 24: ...we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

As Acts 1:8 states, they were given power through the Holy Spirit for the task of witnessing.

....ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

And the day of Pentecost, three thousand souls were saved, by the preaching of the Gospel through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Preaching the Gospel is only one way the power of the Holy Spirit is used. But the Holy Spirit has nothing to do with a person "speaking in tongues". At least, not in our day.

So to recap:

John 20:22 they RECEIVED the Holy Spirit.

Acts 1 & 2 they were given the POWER of the Holy Spirit.

• 7 years ago

No one can come to the Savior unless drawn by the His Spirit. Thus each living being is influenced by the Spirit of YAHUSHUA at all times. Without the constant influence of His Spirit, we would all be totally lost. Unless we are TOTALLY under the guidance of YAHUSHUA, we will in the end be lost. It is a question of what spirit is empowering our lives. Think of a life as having various 'rooms', which represents different aspects of life, and choosing. Unless YAHUSHUA is in control of ALL of you, you are not safe to save, and so are lost. Pentecost was the total house cleaning. John 20:22 was the down payment, the title deed, or claiming the land, or maybe the 'living room'.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • kerby
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

I won Tongues and Interpretation in English. It got here clearly that I doubted it. A Indian woman asked me to wish for her and English got here out. i replaced into ashamed or did no longer prefer to look strange. She later advised me it replaced into genuine. Do i think the present is actual? i could have a be conscious come out...yet i does no longer dare pass on youtube. i'm no longer that useful. possibly that's what began me on a quest... i think interior the presents and that i won the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

• John 20-22 is making them Priests...see the next verse, the one about forgiving sins.

• 7 years ago

Why don't you read all of it ?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.