Minecraft - Converting a Multiplayer Map to SINGLEplayer?

As stated in the title, I'd like to know if it's possible to convert a multiplayer map into a singleplayer one. I've read and tried the tutorials of simply copying and pasting the server save folder into my normal saves folder, but the world simply doesn't show up when I start minecraft up. I've... show more As stated in the title, I'd like to know if it's possible to convert a multiplayer map into a singleplayer one. I've read and tried the tutorials of simply copying and pasting the server save folder into my normal saves folder, but the world simply doesn't show up when I start minecraft up. I've tried renaming it from "world" to something else, and I'm not sure that I want to delete anything about it that can make it a multiplayer game again, unless I can just back those up somewhere and forget about them until they are needed.

The reason I ask this is because I am playing a multiplayer game with my boyfriend in which I would like to edit myself (though I am the server host, singleplayer lags less on my computer than multiplayer does, therefore aiding me to do more before I can play the game with him again.) Supposedly the copy and paste method works simply, but no one explains (that I found) what to remove and what not to, to make it work.

And I can't tell you how much I've looked, and been lead to a page how-to to make a single-player map into a multiplayer one instead. That is not what I'm looking for, and very frustrating that it's all I'm finding.

Otherwise I just suppose I'll have to continue with the lag of the server until I get my new computer up and running... But I would much prefer having my mods working too, just for the ease of building, and making them work in Bukkit (or whatever it was) seems too complicated and troublesome (and laggy) for me at this time. If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

~ CS
Update: I can't tell if you actually read anything that I wrote past the title, Zion, but as I've already stated, that does not currently work. I've tried that, in other words, and the world simply does not show up when I start the game. Thank you for A answer, but it's not the one I was looking... show more I can't tell if you actually read anything that I wrote past the title, Zion, but as I've already stated, that does not currently work. I've tried that, in other words, and the world simply does not show up when I start the game.

Thank you for A answer, but it's not the one I was looking for.

Please take the time to actually read this and help me correctly, I don't know why that's such a problem for so many people.