How do I dilute oil based glass paints?

I want to dilute oil paints so that i can have more color and create a dye for my glass jars. How do i do that ?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Oil-based paint can be often difficult to work with when it's too thick. When applied with a paintbrush the thick paint can leave brush marks in the painted surface upon drying. A paint thinner allows for the paint to flow and smooth out after brush application. The standard mixing ratio is 8 ounces or 1 cup of thinner to 1 gallon of oil-based paint. Oil-based paints are desirable on a variety of surfaces, because they dry to a hard durable finish and are easy to clean.

1. Open a 1 gallon can of oil-based paint by sticking a flathead screwdriver under the lip of the lid and prying it open.

2. Pour 8 ounces of paint thinner into a measuring cup.

3. Pour the paint thinner into the can of paint. Most gallons aren't filled all the way to the top. If it is, you'll need to pour the paint into a mixing bucket before adding the thinner.

4. Stir the paint and thinner together for several minutes until the paint is noticeably thinner. Close the lid tight on the can by hitting the rim with the backside of the screwdriver.

5. Place your hands on each side of the can, lift it up toward your face and then rock it back and forth for several minutes. Reopen the can and mix it again.

• Login to reply the answers
  • rialmo
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

the severe high quality answer to stop condensation is to scale decrease back the moisture interior the interior air. listed listed right here are particularly some tips: Vent gas burners and clothing dryers to the exterior. Dryer and kitchen form exhaust fans will could by no skill be vented to the attic. set up exhaust fans interior the kitchen, loos, and laundry rooms. Controlling or overlaying diverse sources of humidity (radiator water pans, fish tanks, super numbers of plant life, and so on.). installation a dehumidifier. beginning up hearth damper. Ventilating the pass slowly area or basement: set up foundation vents or leave a basement window cracked interior the autumn or early winter to ventilate your basement or crawlspace. an further useful degree is to attach a small duct from the exterior to the return ingredient of a compelled-air heating gadget, so as that clean air is drawn into the place of abode each and every time the recommendations-set is working. A damper positioned in this duct will enable the home proprietor to administration incoming air. A much less confusing technique is to without problems crack a window someplace interior the place of abode. Ventilating the attic: because of certainty that of vapor stress, the moist heat air out of your living can bypass superb by your ceiling into your attic. in the journey that your attic isn't ventilated, the humid air will condense on the chilly underside of your roof. This condensation can start to rot the roof boards, reason ice dams, or drip down onto the ceiling below and harm your plaster, paint, and attic insulation. in my view, consisting of diverse measures,I run a dehumidifier 24 hours an afternoon over the winter era, adjusting it to verify the temperatures. it works wonders!!!

• 7 years ago

METHOD

MIX TURPENTINE OIL OR THINNER FOR DILUTING THE OIL COLOURS

&

U CAN USED LINSEED OIL FOR THICKNESS OF COLOR

&

U CAN USE VARNISH FOR SHINE IN YOUR GLASS JAR .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.