Best Cordless Drill for cable tech?

My husband had a Black & Decker Cordless 18v Drill that died on him at work and now needs a new one; a really good one. He mentioned a drill a buddy of his at work has that was very light in weight and I believe it was a Makita?

My question is, is this drill the best for his job? The drill in question is the Makita LCT200W 18-Volt Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless 2-Piece Combo Kit. I hear it is light in weight which is a plus for many reasons including he is starting to show signs of carpal tunnel. I also need to mention he uses it at almost every job and does 5-10 jobs daily (5-6 days a week) and is on a tight schedule so he is tough on his tools. I've done my research and have found that the battery life is good (not great, but good but I can upgrade to the 3.0 battery). So, is this the best Cordless Drill out there for a cable/satellite tech? One more question,,what does lithium/ion mean?

Thanks ahead for your help, it is much appreciated.

....and to my husband...if you happen to see this I suggest you keep your mouth closed OR ELSE you will end up with CLOTHES, CLOTHES, CLOTHES like Christmas 2007!

Ranger: that's just it, he did not say it was what he wanted, he just mentioned it because of it's light weight. I want to know the best drill from a man's perspective, that's all.

Best Answer

Makita is a good drill I have one. I mainly use dewalts drills I just like the feel of them better not to mention that My Makita had to be rebuilt more often then the dewalts I have regular and impactor drill

and my dewalts hold a charge longer Not to mention durable Ive dropped it off of high places and picked it right up When I drop my Makita had to replace it the next day I work in construction, so they get a lot of use I use the makita at home and dewalts at work, as preference but a man and his tools everyone has different tastes in tools. Some like craftsman I prefer snap on, for the same reasons more durable Ive replaced many craftsman and rarely replace snap on but they cost more money too

And I have one Makita and 5 dewalts, comfort, reliability, is the main reason why and weight Your husband probably don't use it as much as me....OH if you wind up buying him clothes Tell your Santa to send me his dewalt lol

Hope that helps

Lr

Source(s): Jack of tools and trades from automotive to construction
  • Jason

I like makita alot... we used ours heavily and beat them up and carried them on the roof all the time... they are good solid tools... lithium ion is a battery type that lasts longer than the old nicad batteries... they have no memory charge faster and last longer and put out more energy... im not sure what the scientific difference is but I can tell you makita makes good tools that last a long time... we had an angle drill from them that lasted over 10 yrs and worked great and when we switched over to makita from Milwaukee we were pleased with the performance and durability

Source(s): 10 yrs chimney tech

I used to do cable and I used to use Makita drills and loved them. Then they were stolen, and tried out Ridgid drills. Ridgid drills seemed better to me. They are lighter, compact, powerful, and the batteries seem to last longer than other brands. Another plus is they are orange in color, so you're more likely to spot them and not accidentally leave them at a customer's house as I have done a few times. You can get a hammer drill/impact driver combo for $200. Don't get anything less than 18 volts. And you definitely want a lithium ion battery. That means you can recharge the batteries at any time without damaging future battery life. With nickel cadmium batteries you have to wait until the battery is completely dead before recharging. Oh and Ridgid drills have battery charge indicators. Trust me, he'll love them.

Source(s): Years of construction and telecommunications experience

The general consensus seems to be Makita..... I use a Craftsman 19.2 and there are guys at my work with Makitas that are constantly running back and forth to the charger..... You just can't beat the Craftsman on price alone.

My GF also snagged me a Milwaukee small 12v for a/c work and I really like it.....

• Ranger

If your husband thinks a Makita is the best drill, to him it is the best drill. If you want to make him happy get him the Makita. It doesn't matter which drill anyone else thinks is best.

Source(s): rc