Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Bogdan
Bogdan asked in SportsAuto RacingFormula One · 9 years ago

Lewis Hamilton vs. Nico Rosberg?

With Lewis Hamilton moving to Mercedes, inevitably his performance will be compared to his future teammate. Conventional wisdom might say that Lewis would blow Rosberg away, but i'm not totally convinced he will.

Just about everyone (myself included), thought Lewis would blow Jenson Button away when he came to McLaren, but that didn't happen.

Thoughts?

Favorite Answer

It's hard to say. What you can say is that we are all going to finally know just how good/bad Rosberg is and just how good/bad Mercedes have been for the last few years, which will be interesting for everybody in and around F1, as well as all the fans.

If I had to jump one way or the other, then I'd expect Hamilton/Rosberg to have a similar dynamic to Hamilton/Button, with Hamilton dominant in qualifying but with their race results evening out over the course of the season.

• Dan

Ultimately I think Jenson Button was heavily underrated when coming into McLaren, even as the reigning World Champion he was not considered good enough to compete with Hamilton.

Nico Rosberg was also somewhat underrated when joining Mercedes with Schumacher as his teammate. Everybody roundly expected Rosberg to be beaten by Schumacher, and infact Rosberg asserted his dominance within the team from the word go. My only problem with Rosberg is that this year, whilst he did become a winner for the first time, very often he was matched or even beaten by Schumacher, who was clearly past his peak, and he will in for a much tougher challenge from Hamilton when he joins.

Button faired well against Lewis because he forged a good relationship with the team, and continued to drive as well as he has done in his whole career. I think it played on Lewis' mind that here he had a teammate that whilst not as quick as him, still managed to score big points every weekend and could beat him on raceday. Button having been in F1 for so many years was more comfortable in his own limitations and understood where he was losing out to Lewis more than Lewis understood his limits to Jenson.

I think if Rosberg can recapture some of the form he had in the 2.5 seasons he was comfortably better than Schumacher, he can be an able teammate to Lewis, and can probably beat him on some days in the same way Jenson could. But I don't think he'll be able to consistently do what Button could do on raceday, and this is where he may fall back from Hamilton.

Rosberg will score 60-70% of Hamiton's points next year, and that's probably what Mercedes will expect.

• o_O

In terms of raw speed, Hamilton did blow Button away. He is just not consistent. Either he or his team (mostly the team) make an error. He also seems to fall innocent to quite a few crashes as well as cause some. Button is what McLaren need, a good consistent driver and Hamilton is exactly what Mercedes need. A driver that will put his all into every race, they have the consistency in Rosberg and raw speed in Hamilton. Only time will tell which will be better, most likely in Hamilton's 3rd year at Mercedes, first two years will go towards developing the car. I honestly do not know who the better driver is. I don't beleive in records and championships as proof of a drivers worth, its their individual races. China was great for Rosberge and he has proved himself against the more experianced Shumacher but Hamilton made a huge impact on me in 2009 when he proved his worth with two wins and 4 more podiums in the second half of the season despite having a terrible excuse of a car. It's because Hamilton can win races with a slower car and everything going against him that I beleive he is better

• Lewis by a fair margin.

Jenson Button is WAY better then Nico Rosberg. That's not to say Nico isn't a good driver, but he's not quite in the top league yet. That said, Nico has not yet had a truly good driver as a team-mate. I don't count Shumacker as the great driver he used to be.

I don't think Mercedes will do all that well in 2013, but in 2014, they will be in the fight for the championship. Ross Braun will see to that.

• there won't be a lot in it. All these drivers are really quick the difference they can make in the cars performance is maybe 1-2% but over a race distance it makes all the difference

So no I very much doubt there will be any blowing away from either driver, but if one driver constantly finishes ahead of the other that could be conscrued by some as getting blown away, to me it would also depend on the margin and on the lap times over the season, but if anything I would expect Lewis to have the edge

Yeah it will be close. Just look how competitive mclaren have been this season. Take Mercedes however, and it a different story. They win one fluke race and the press are over it like flies on dog doo. Ferrari have to be the most likely competitor to the top. I have high hopes for Hamilton. Good driver, average team. What can he do? We'll find out next season!

Source(s): F1 fanatic

is they give them a good car in 2013 rosberg and lewis should both be fightinf for wins.

• Ran

yes, it will be interesting to watch these two friends run together. i think the question we´ll see get answered is: how good is nico really? can he keep up with lewis regularly?

i thought nico was impressive in the williams, but in the mercedes, nah...

Nico will beat him. If Louie fails again next season, he will just whine and his fan boys will blame the team.

It did happen, hamilton will beat him, points and qualiy.