Stealing UPS packages from front porches?

Hypothetically, how hard would it be to do this:

I drive around residential neighborhoods looking for UPS-delivered packages sitting on front porches.

These package deliveries are at a height right now for the Holidays, so I could easily spot 5 packages in 20 minutes. And Since UPS guys ring the doorbell to alert the resident of the delivery, the fact that the package is sitting on the front porch means noone is home. (Middle of the day, everyone at work)

So I park the car on the residential side street that I am on, leave the engine running, walk up to the house and take the package, and drive away.

And since most of these parcels would be unexpected christmas gifts, they would likely go unreported. And I'd be finding probably some valuable things, such as consumer electronics, that I can unload for $$$ on craigslist and Ebay.

Lol could that work?

BCNU: So you are demeaning me for posting a hypothetical petty larceny, while YOU are talking about committing murder. Hypocritical much?

Favorite Answer

It could work, most expensive items that are worth risking it are going to require some sort of signature. Also, if a neighbor or someone (neighborhood watch) sees you or your car, you will definitely get charged with a Federal offense and spend some time in prison. Why would you want to steal Christmas joy from others just to risk having something like that on your record..sounds pretty dumb to me

Ray, like your plan to steal luggage the airport, you are almost CERTAINLY going to be caught, and hopefully not by someone with an itchy trigger finger. The UPS insurance company has hired detectives to investigate people like you, given the hundreds of such losses that have already occurred. They have an amazing track record for putting the puzzle back together and locating the stolen property, which leads them to the thief.

In some cases, with front-porch security being what it is, the disappointed addressee may have hi-res, digital photos or video of your crime, which can be given to the police, FBI, private detectives...

If you were caught stealing something on MY front porch, chunks of you would be eventually found in the woods in another county, but not all in the same place...

Source(s): http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Aqv2Q... Your other hypothetical crime

Yes.... That can work...

I used to go out on a sunday night and steal peoples milk bottles as people paid the milkman monday morning so there would always be a good few people putting the money in a milk bottle to pay him lol

This has been happening for a long time and discussed on news sites before. Many people are getting aware of theft like this and have caught many thieves with camera systems. So, if you think you can get away with it, try it. I hope you get caught :)

lol i don't know but it sounds like an great idea just make sure no one is looking...

if you have security cameras, you could see the person, or you could ask your neighbors.