Why do White neighborhoods pay more property taxes than Black or Latino neighborhoods?

This happens even in inner cities where its supposed to be taboo.

Update:

@magic- Why is that so?

Update 2:

@Latina- That is not true. I live in a city that the property taxes were all the same at one time. The difference was Whites rebuilt their homes and made them look a lot nicer. Then their property values went up because of it. As a matter of fact the city only became popular because of that neighborhood. Then the city decided to raise taxes on the Whites and built new housing for blacks and Latino's.

So now even though the Blacks and Latino's have newer homes built by the Government the poorer white neighborhood is paying for that. Don't you think that is wrong and racist?

Update 3:

@busterwa...- The same answer I gave Latina applies to you.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

wealth distribution issue. you make it sound like blacks and latinos create ghettoes, when the reality is that they tend to be shunted into ghettoes. The areas are poor and rundown, so are the places that the poor can afford to live. Ghettoization was a problem for italan, irish, polish, and other immigrant groups in the past.

latinos tend to be poor because they are more recent immigrants and haven't bubbled up the economic ladder. Blacks are simply routinely discriminated against and have extra walls blocking their economic advancement. Very general explanation that may not apply in detail, to the individual, but your primary question was equally overgeneral.

I think that you have mostly reversed cause and effect.

• 8 years ago

Have you driven through a trailer park or rural area? My uncle lives out in the sticks and pays less in property taxes for 500 acres than my parents pay for half an acre in the ghetto part of a city. Seriously.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

they dont. wealthy neighborhoods pay more property taxes, because the higher the value of the homes=the higher the taxes. btw, my trailer park is 99% hispanic

• 8 years ago

Statistically, if you live in America, and you are wealthy, you are most likely white.

Statistically, if you live in America, and you are wealthy, you are most likely living in a wealthy neighborhood.

Statistically, if you live in America, and you are a minority, you are more likely to live in poverty.

Therefore, wealthy neighborhoods are whiter by percentage, than poorer neighborhoods.

That being said there is no inherent connection between wealth and race, intelligence and race, or property tax and race.

Taxes are color blind.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Property taxes are based on the value of home and property.

There is no racism - none.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Property values . You should be asking why your home lost value and your taxes didn't go down accordingly .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.