? asked in HealthMental Health · 8 years ago

Paxil questions...please help!!?

I started taking 20mg Paxil 6 days ago.(My Dr accidently gave me 20 mg instead of 10 mg) She said to stay on 20 mg unless I still cant sleep then can cut in half.

I am not sleeping at all every night. I tried taking it in the morning and at night! Would switching to 10 mg help me?

How long does this no sleep thing last? If its the whole time you are taking it then I dont think Im going to take this much longer.

I am very tired and at work its hard to get through the day

Favorite Answer

I would take the 20 mg all in the morning. There's a good chance this will work.

• Ian

Switching to 10mg taken first thing in the morning very well might help. Paxil has a short half-lfe, so if you take it in the morning most of it will be gone by the time you go to bed at night, and if you take only half as much, you'll only have half as much in your system at night, which can make a big difference. I'm not sure that the sleeplessness would go away over time if you stick with the 20mg dose. You might be better off taking a different antidepressant. I'm not sure if you'd have the same problem with other SSRIs, but other options are also TCAs, for example. There are lots of things that can be tried if the Paxil doesn't work out for you.