what exactly is a surpintine belt in a car do?

i own a honda and with a 150 K i finely replaced the serpentine belt,that the mechanic recommended as I ask what does it supposed to do and it was expensive

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The serpentine belt drives most of your electrical accesories like the alternator, air conditioning, power steering, water pump. So yes, it is a vital piece of your engine

You haven't stated the make and year of your car, but the belts generally start around the mid $30 range and are easy enough to install if you are willing to get your hands dirty

If you aren't, then it may take about an hour for a professional to do and if you got charged for more labor than that, I would question it

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

The serpentine belt (V Belt) drives the secondary systems like the electricals, fans, pumps and the alternator (to charge the battery). It is an important piece to replace because if it snaps you won't get very far and could damage the engine.

Now the cost of replacing the belt shouldn't cost too much and they are fairly easy to replace. If they installed a high quality belt and if their hourly labour rate is high then that could be why it cost you more. It is more likely they charged you most on the labour and not the part itself.

• 8 years ago

The serpentine belt is the belt on your vehicle that transfers the power of the crankshaft, to the other pulleys on your vehicle to run the accessories, such as the alternator, air conditioning condenser, water pump, and sometimes the radiator fan. It is crucial that you vehicle has this or you cannot charge the battery, cool the engine, or have air conditioning. Be sure to change it when its recommended as sometimes they break and it will get tangled between pulleys and its more expensive...

Source(s): Experience.
  • 8 years ago

Serpentine belt runs auxiliary components like air conditioning, power steering, and alternator. It runs off the rotation of the motor and powers all these devices. You can learn to do it yourself and save money.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.