Do you need to know the acoustic guitar chords to play electric guitar?

Please tell me because I want to play electric but my mum won't let me until I'm good at acoustic. Thankyou!¡!¡!¡

Favorite Answer

Jake has no idea what he's talking about.

Electric guitar uses the same chords, scales, and everything as acoustic guitar. Everything you learn on acoustic will be useful to you when you switch to electric.

Source(s): Been playing guitar for 40+ years.

Acoustic guitar and electric guitar are basically the same. They both have the same 6 strings (E A D G B E), the notes on the fretboard are the same, the chords are the same, scales are the same. Absolutely everything you learn on acoustic guitar is transferable to electric guitar and vice-versa. I've played guitar for over 40 years and taught for over 30. Most of my students start on acoustic guitar only because it's less expensive and easier to deal with when you're learning the fundamentals. You can focus on learning the notes, scales, chords, and good playing technique without the distraction of all sorts of effects that cover bad playing. I've had students who have no interest in acoustic guitar and only want to play rock on an electric guitar. You can learn just as well on either really.

A really good reason to go with your mom's advice though is that you really don't want to be playing through an amplifier with a lot of distortion and noise until you actually know how to play. You'll drive everyone in your house nuts!

• Harry

Listen to your mom, you Kid you.

And, do some simple research first to learn what's-what, before making such a naive guess.

Just make it all an adventure if you're really seriously, even curious, about guitars (or anything else) and get to the closest music store and take someone with you (who has some experience with guitars in general), to become more familiar with the instrument altogether.

At least you know acoustics and electric guitars appear to be the same.

Whew.

Source(s): 47 years guitar and keyboard player

These days you can learn how to play guitar over the internet. Check out Mark McKenzie's guitar video lessons here: http://www.jamoramaguitar.com/ The videos are very easy to follow and to my surprise extremely helpful even for advanced guitar players. For beginners I would have to say this is a gold mine.

I was able to improve my skills in just under 4 weeks and I am an intermediate-to-advanced guitar player; I've been playing guitar for the past 6 years and I was on stage with my band a lot of times.

I live in New York City, I wanted to go to a pro guitar teacher but that would have cost me over $1400 per month. Good thing with this internet, $1400 it's a lot of money for me. Good luck!

A guitar is a guitar - there are no such things as "acoustic guitar chords" or "electric guitar chords".

If u want to play rock n roll or metal.. Heck no.. Maybe some classic rock but nah, electric is a whole new experience. Don't stop playing acoustic but you'll have fun with electric.

• Gail

They're the same instrument, the only difference is in the way they are amplified. So yes.

trust me, get good at acoust first. it makes a world of difference.

for starting any guitar i would start with tabs and yes, that includes electric. just search google for whatever song you wanna play + the word tabs and it should come up with something good. P.S... almost always trusr guitartabs,com

Source(s): was once a newbie myself