Why is both Beach House and Cocteau Twins in the Dream Pop genre but have little in common?

Is there like a new wave of dream pop thats entirely disconnected form the past and thus its own genre just with the same name or does Beach House and similar bands really properly fit in the genre?

saying new wave and New Wave are totally different things. I was just using Cocteu twins as an example.

Genres themselves are fairly abstract so you really can call anything a genre.

Favorite Answer

Because there is no such thing as "dream pop". It's an artificial concept invented by music journalists. Such type of music don't exist. Pop in itself is a very broad category. Frank Sinatra and Madonna are both "pop". I don't think Cocteau Twins fit any narrow label. Their first album is heavily influenced by Joy Division but you can't really call them typical new wave band. Some of their later records bear a lot of resemblance to what is categorized as folk/new age music (Victorialand album).

I don't agree, I think "dream pop" actually existed back in the days, you know, when such "ethereal" sound was oftenly used. and Beach House is just ordinary "indie-pop" or whatever. Some people just love to name things with old words because it sounds cooler...

and because Elizabeth Fraser has a wonderful voice, and that girl(?) from beach house not.

The only thing I pop is Korn.