LGBT: Getting tested for HIV...scared...?

I had intercourse with a guy about a few months ago. Of course, it was unprotected. Yes, it was stupid. He says he's clean and got it tested a few months before we dated, but now that we're not together, I am compelled to get myself checked up on. I'm a little nervous. I don't have any other choice, but I must know my status. Can't do much on Y!A, but I guess I just need some words of advice, if any of you guys went through this process. It's honestly the idea that just scares me so much...but I have to just get it done with.

Favorite Answer

Yes! You have to get tested. It's always good to have regular check ups and don't be scared. I really doubt he would have any diseases, but this is one big lesson you have to learn. Even if you trust them, still wear a condom.

scary Thing right? We all go through that panic of getting tested for HIV those letters even drop your heart for a minute.. If he says he's clean,then he is,unless he had sex with you knowing a + status..and that can land him in jail for years to come! thats attempted murder.Or he could be part of the 20% pack who don't know they are infected,which is less likely in your case since he has been tested a few months back then got in a romance with you..most certain he was clean means you are too. You will be Fine.

I've been there. After a previous partner cheated I felt I was safer getting tested for everything, and I mean everything. Get the test done ASAP, the worst part is the couple of days waiting for the results. Keep yourself busy and distracted. Focus on everything else in your life. It sometimes helps to keep other people around you, spend the weekend at a friend's place, keep yourself from dwelling on it. Hopefully you won't deal with what I had to, one of my tests came back inconclusive and I had to re-test. THAT three days wait was one of the worst waits in my life. It came back negative the second time. I hope things go well for you. Just get tested and get it over with quickly.

If going to the clinic scares you there is a home test kit (FDA approved) now available. It's called Oraquick and it only takes 20 minutes. It's an oral swab test, no blood needed. Can get it at really any pharmacy.

It's better that you get tested, because you shouldn't lie to yourself about your status. And there are innovations in medicine that can significantly prolong your life. It's not an automatic death sentence.

The best of luck to you. Just let this be an opportunity for learning.

I get tested for STDs every 3 to 6 months. Not because I'm doing anything particularly risky, but because I'm sexually active, and would rather know sooner than later.

• reme_1

this is a helluva lesson for you.

Get it over with and be really careful from now on.

IF you get bad news you can still have a decent life. You will have to take meds and be REALLY careful but you still can have a happy life. Things have changed in the past 20 years-- thankfully.

HUGS from a senior lesbian

Nothing to be scared off ! :)

Do it ... You will have to , today or tomorrow !