Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 8 years ago

Can i use a snowboarding boot as an alternative to an orthopedic boot to heal a broken ankle?

I broke my ankle a few days ago and the doctor gave me this boot with velcro straps instead of a traditional hard cast. Instead of wearing this uncomfortable ortho boot could I just wear my snowboard boot instead? Being that it was also made to support the ankle isn't it essentially the same thing?

no. Snowboarding boots hold your ankle at a slightly dorsiflexed (flexed up toward your shin) angle, while the orthopedic boot that the doctor gave you is designed to keep your ankle in a neutral position that is optimal for correct healing of the bones. Do what your doctor says.

Do what the doctor said and rest your ankle otherwise it wont get better. You will have to leave snowboarding for another time.