Tohru Honda asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

is it alright that my dog just died and i accepted it on the same day, only crying once or twice?

ok well my dog died today, and i accepted it the afternoon that it happened...am I A bad person? I cried once or twice and I miss him deeply already, but i've come to the term where I know he is dead and there is nothing I can do about it....is it alright that I accepted it this early? where it usually takes people a couple of weeks until they come to this conclusion.

Favorite Answer

Everyone grieves in their own way and that fact you deeply miss the dog deeply is an expression of that loss. Acceptance of death is a small part of adjusting mentally to the fact that the dog is not around and what you have left are memories.

Two of my dogs died over five years ago now and while I do not dwell in the past, from time to time I still miss them.

• clouds

No, it doesn't make you a bad person. In fact, more people would probably wish they were that way so they didn't have to mourn for weeks, months, even years. I had my dog for 12 years as I grew up and when she died, I cried all that day, a little on the second day, and then I had accepted it but I still felt sick about it for a few weeks. No amount of mourning is "normal" or indicates whether someone is a "good person" or not.

Sorry for your dog.

It doesn't make you a bad person at all. Everybody accepts death In different ways. You know you miss your dog that's all that matters. I lost one of my dogs Saturday, ( and he was my all tine favortie of all if the dogs ive ever had) suddenly and while we were out of town, of course I cried a few times, and miss him terribly. I've had some bad moments here and there, mostly going bc I have another and she is out of sorts and my kids are upset- but I accepted he was going to die when they called me with some test results. I was the same way when my dad dropped dead a few months ago. It's just the way I am- in my eyes crying wont bring them back so I don't see a point in it. Some people are different, doesn't make us bad. Sorry about your dog, it sucks I know- just remember the good times!

• Pat

Everyone grieves in different ways for a beloved pet that is gone; and there is no exact timetable on how long you grieve and how much you cry. It sounds like you are handling the death of your dog well; it's better that you accept that he is gone than try to deny it. Of course there's nothing you can do about the fact that he is gone. Remember the good times you had with him, keep him in your heart, and continue to live your life.

Good luck.

Nothing makes you forget a dead dog...like a new puppy!