claim my son as a dependent?

If i live with my child and his mother (were not married) and she recieves ssi, can i put my son down as a dependent on my w-4?

5 Answers

  • 8 years ago

    The mother receiving SSI has no bearing on your taxes. If the mother has not disclosed that she lives with you and you have income, that is a matter she needs to address.

    If you live with your child for more than six months (or since birth if the child is less than six months old), and you are not a dependent on someone else's tax return, you can claim your child. You can add an allowance on your W-4 for a child. This may reduce taxes withheld on your wages.

  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

    Probably. If you have the same number of nights with the child that the mother does, you can claim him. Be prepared to prove you spent more than 6 months with the child.

    Note, did the mother include your income when she applied for SSI?

  • tro
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

    the rule is the parent with whom the child spends the majority 'nites' with claims the child and when there is a problem determining which parent has the majority, the parent with the higher income claims the child on their tax return

    you can claim anything you are eligible to claim on your W-4

    you say you are living with the mother of your child, assuming you mean this is not your household, but your contributions to the household mean she is receiving additional support she is probably not reporting to the SS and this is fraud

  • Bobbie
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

    W-4 form would ONLY be as a ALLOWANCE for this purpose to be used to REDUCE the FIT withholding amount during each pay period.

    1040 FIT return would have to be a QC qualifying child dependent for the tax year 2012 during the 2013 tax filing season for this purpose and time in your life.

    And what amount of household income did she enter on her form that that she had to fill out in order to qualify for the SSI amounts and how many taxpayer or person did she put down as living in this home together for this purpose on this claim form that she did have to sign for this purpose and time in her life.

    And who does own this HOME and maintaining it by paying for all of the required expense of the home for all 3 of you to be able to live in this home for this tax year.

    I would NOT do this at all BUT this will have to be your own decision that you really do have to make on your own for this purpose and time in your life.

    And you do have to sign the completed tax return where the below statement is included at bottom of the page of the 1040 tax form for your use at this time in your life.

    Under penalties of perjury, I declare that I have examined this return, and to the best of my knowledge and belief, it is true, correct, and accurately lists all amounts and sources of income I received during the tax year.

    Your signature Date Your occupation

    Be sure that you do have very good detailed written records to prove that all of information that you used for this purpose available in case the IRS should decide that they would want you to verify some of the information that you entered on your 1040 income tax return and printed a copy for your records and signed the other copy to send to the IRS for processing at that time in your life.

    Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 11/29/2012

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

    You can always put him down on your w4, that's not the same as claiming him on taxes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.