Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

Do churches teach people they are born sinners and make them beg/repent no matter how small the 'sin'?

I've been reading a book called "christian no more" by Jeffery Archer and in the book Jeffery tells that his church taught that if he did wrong things and forgot to beg for forgiveness and committed sins he'd not be allowed to go to heaven and would spend an eternity in hell instead.

He further goes on to explain how this teaching if church made him go through lots of unnecessary guilt as a child. Whenever he felt hatred in his heart for his school bullies, he'd start feeling guilty 'cause he was taught not to judge others and he'd go to his church on sunday and beg for forgiveness. And only when the pastor declared that they've been forgiven, he'd feel happy and comfortable. 'Forgiveness' was essentially a sort of drug to him.

So what I wanna know is - Do all churches teach people to continually regret and beg for forgiveness for their 'sins'. Do christians not believe in anything that might be innate human nature that doesn't require begging for forgiveness? For example occasionally shouting slang at someone or maybe punching someone when he/she severely pisses you off or maybe talking how hot and sexy a particular girl is, etc

If yes, how and where do you draw the line?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Tiger
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Wonder what kind of church that could have been. I have never in my 40 years as Christian heard this presented this way. And Jeffery have never been a Christian by my understanding. Read on and I will try to explain.

It is not our ability to repent that gives us heaven as a "reward". That is turning it up side down. We do not even have it in us to do that.

Man’s heart is evil (Mark 7:21-23)

and sick Jer. 17:9).

Man is a slave of sin (Rom. 6:20).

He does not seek for God (Rom. 3:10-12).

He cannot understand spiritual things (1 Cor. 2:14).

He is at enmity with God (Eph. 2:15).

You can never force anyone to repent. No one can become a Christian by own effort, or by pressure or being persuaded by others.

It is God that does it.

Because of our fallen nature we are born again not by our own will but,

God’s will (John 1:12-13);

God grants that we believe (Phil. 1:29);

faith is the work of God (John 6:28-29);

God appoints people to believe (Acts 13:48); and

God predestines (Eph. 1:1-11; Rom. 8:29; 9:9-23).

When you accept Jesus as Lord and Savior the Holy Spirit comes into your life and works to produce repentance. You want to confess, and your life is supernatural turned around. For some it is great immediate change, for others it is a slow growth in daily sanctification.

The main point is that Jeffery never, not possible could ever have been a Christian. He only could have seen the outside, and judged from that. God`s work is from the inside and can only be understood fully as it is experienced.

We draw the line by asking ourself: "What would Jesus have done".

MIMI

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

In the 18th century Americans started moving west and three institutions went with them. There was vaudeville, traveling entertainment. There was lyceum, traveling education and culture. And there was the itinerant preacher, offering a new style of preaching called "hellfire and brimstone". It was very entertaining, only loosely based on scripture, and pastors didn't even try to compete. Instead they switched to public morality and philosophy. Eventually an entire generation grew up not knowing the first thing about the religion they claimed to believe. Since about 1970 a few people have dedicated themselves to rediscovering what the bible actually says, but there is considerable resistance based on "faith of our fathers", which is to say a famously brainless devotion to faith for its own sake.

Christian churches as a rule do not teach their doctrines. Some churches still preach the old "hellfire and brimstone" but it's not as exciting as it was before television. Some churches follow a cut down version, and some churches only teach outreach. Very few teach the bible, and those that do don't understand it well. Basically you just can't trust anybody to tell you what the bible says. You have to read it yourself. Read the bible from Romans to 2 Thessalonians over and over until you start to remember what it says. That is the part that applies to Christians. Keep reading until you start to notice it says some things that are different from what you have been told it says. Keep reading until you figure out that the bible is more reliable than those people who told you different things. Here is a book to help you study the bible. It's a free download and you can buy a hard copy at any bible book store.

http://philologos.org/__eb-htetb/ "How To Enjoy The Bible"

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

between the stuff that made me leave the religion i became born into became this form of thought. the thought that a new child is a sinner is twisted. How somewhat one that won't be able to sort plenty cognitive thought previous starvation could be a sinner and a few twisted serial pedophile can without warning be stored is warped to me. It does appear like they like to have it the two techniques by claiming we are all born sinners ....different than homosexuals. i think of you're making suited sense.

• Hogie
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

This is an example of a church going way beyond the scope of what a church is supposed to be, resulting in a cultic atmosphere.

We do not "beg" for forgiveness. Forgiveness of sin is a function of true repentance, which is the act of turning to God and believing the gospel. As a result, God removes our sins. You could even say he removes us from sin. Christians are dead to sin, freed from sin.

What you wrote is an example of a minister using sin as a means of control over those who do not understand that they would be freed from sin as a function of believing the gospel.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Hogwash. Repentance is the conscious decision to turn to and trust Jesus, and away from sin. It result in a change of behavior if it was genuine.

It is a one time event that accompanies salvation, which is also a one time event that cannot be undone.

We do, however, feel sorry that we grieved God when we sin. So it follows that confessing these, or at least acknowledging them, and repenting from these slip ups, are natural occurrences that are voluntary and meet with the relationship we have with God.

You need to read and study the Bible instead of listening to whoever comes your way.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

No, churches don't make you beg for forgiveness. Not even God makes people beg for forgiveness. I wonder if Jeffrey ever grasped the doctrines of grace when he was a churchgoer? Or maybe it was just his weird, cultish church that was like that? I've found that it is those churches that produce the most unbelievers.

• 8 years ago

When one accepts Christ as their Lord and saviour God sents His holy spirit into your heart which keeps you in the love of Christ, but in case one errs or gives into temptation, then the Holy spirit will do the chastising, so that one is repentant automatically, "If by the spirit the misdeeds of the body tongue are put to death, one will live, as this is true repentance and we can come before G0d's throne and ask forgiveness in the name of Christ our Lord and saviour.

• Hugo90
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

I drew the line by quitting church at age 13. Without reading any books about other peoples experience, I knew it was all crap. What a relief it is to be free.

• 8 years ago

O_o

Imagining a whole building full of people begging and repenting...writhing on the floors like the snakes they are, crying out to their God and savior for...

*snaps out of it*

wha....? 'suse me a moment while I...er...cuddle my pillow.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Romans 6:23 says the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Sin causes us to be separated from God which results in spiritual death. The Lord Jesus Christ paid the price for our sins through His death on the cross so we could by faith in Christ as our Saviour have forgiveness of sins, unity to God, salvation and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Christians are not perfect and whenever we realize we have sinned, we repent!

As long as a human is physically alive on the earth, they can repent (Hebrews 9:27).

Sins are destructive to the soul, they bring curses and they invite and allow evil spirits into our lives. The great thing is that when we sincerely repent (regret that we have sinned and turn completely from sin), God forgives us and cleanses us from all unrighteousness.

1 John 1:9

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

We Christians know right from wrong (Hebrews 10:16) but we aren't perfect and although we slip at times, we repent and are cleansed and strengthened (1 John 1:9; Titus 3:5). Hebrews 10:26 tells us that if someone GOES ON deliberately sinning without the desire to repent, it shows they are not saved.

If a person is not repenting of their sins it means they are not undergoing Christian transformation (2 Corinthians 3:18; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Hebrews 9:12-14; Titus 3:5) which is evidence they do not have the Holy Spirit abiding within them. If they are without the Holy Spirit who God sends to those who are Christ's (John 14:26) it shows that the person never genuinely made Jesus their Lord and Saviour and therefore is not saved.

Those who say they are Christians but are not repenting of their sins are not Christians and are on the wide road to Hell (Matthew 7:13).

The Lord Jesus commands us to repent:

Revelation 2:5

Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Revelation 3:19

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Iniquities (tendencies that cause one to sin) pass down the generation line (Numbers 14:18). When one accepts Lord Jesus as their Saviour, God forgives their sins and removes their iniquities (evil tendencies) in the subsequent transformation process which makes one more and more like Christ.

2 Corinthians 3:18

But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

2 Corinthians 5:17

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Hebrews 9:12-14

Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Titus 3:5

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

After genuinely accepting the Lord Jesus Christ as their Saviour, ALL sinners (adulterers, those who practice homosexuality, alcoholics, liars, drug addicts, fornicators etc.) will be saved and transformed AS THEY REPENT. Each believer is cleansed by the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ and receives the infilling of the Holy Spirit who renews them.

REDEMPTION BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH

Because mankind is incapable of meeting God’s standard of perfection necessary to abide in God’s presence (Romans 3:19-20,23), God sent His Son Jesus Christ to pay the total debt for the believer’s sins and mercifully credits to his account Christ’s righteousness (Romans 3:21-28,5:1-11; 2 Corinthians 5:18-21). Jesus’ gracious act of atonement was complete and covers all sin (Colossians 2:13-14; 1 John 1:9). Salvation is not based on good deeds but according to the mercy of God (Titus 3:4-5). Believers are justified by faith; it is a gift by God’s grace (Romans 4:3-8; Ephesians 2:8-9). A true, living faith will result in a desire to live a holy, loving life of good works (Ephesians 2:10; Galatians 5:6; James 2:14-26), but failure to be absolutely successful at righteous living does not negate the believer’s justified status.

If you sincerely say this prayer, your sins will be washed away, you will be redeemed to God, be saved from eternal torment and inherit the Kingdom of God:

"Dear Jesus,

I am a sinner.

I repent of my sins.

Please forgive me and save me by your shed blood;

come into my heart.

I want to receive you as my own personal Lord and Savior.

Amen"

https://victoryinjesuschrist.wordpress.com/

Powerful Repentance and Deliverance Prayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71TdHQkliYM

Youtube thumbnail

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.