How do you handle change in a family member's personality?

In the last week, I've noticed a difference in my brother's behavior. Sometimes he can seem real annoyed with myself and my mother. For example, earlier today, my mother was being real nice and making small talk with us and he was very short with her and seemed to want to end the discussion. I thought that was rude, and I didn't say anything, but it bothered me. Tonight, we were all watching tv and I made several comments in regards to the program throughout the show and he didn't really agree or say anything. Was it wrong of me to want him to either laugh at my comment or talk back?

(As far as I know, nothing has changed in his personal life to warrant him being "rude", so maybe he's just changing for the worse?)

Because of his non-positive attitude, it's made me want to steer away from being in his company. This isn't what I want to do though, because we all live in the same house and he and I have always been pretty close.

It's a difficult situation to be in because I'm afraid if I confront him, it will make things more complicated and awkward.

In short, I like I'm not receiving the compassion I need and want from him and this is making me feel a little anxious and sad :(

How do I get back the funny, sweet brother I know and love?

• jb
    Favorite Answer

You talk to him and start the conversation as follows...

I noticed that you were kind of annoyed with mom and that you were real quiet during the TV program. I was wondering if there was anything wrong and wanted to let you know that I am here if you want to talk if want to.

I don't know your brother's age, but if he's a teen, he may just be going through a phase...where really he's trying to create an identity for himself. Teens get crabby! Or, he could be trying to work something out for himself, like a dilemma, and he might not want to talk about it.

It's not "wrong" of you to want him to laugh or talk, but its not wrong for him to not want to either.

I agree with the first person who answered...ask him, in a non-judgmental way, what he is feeling and thinking.

Source(s): Social work student