Cecilia asked in PetsBirds · 8 years ago

My bird please help!?

I have a over year old Quaker parrot. Just yesterday I see she been pooping watering and its a little be green and while but mostly watering and I'm so scare! I'm only 13 she been through dirrarh but not this long:( please help what's wrong with her?

Favorite Answer

Bird droppings are made up of three parts: the feces, which is the green or brown solid matter of the dropping, the urates, which are the white to cream colored by product of the kidney, and the urine, which is clear fluid, the watery waste of the kidneys. The three components are brought together before they are expelled by the body and come out in the form of a single dropping, looking similar to soft serve ice cream. I apologize to anyone on their way to Dairy Queen for a snack.

For the most part, your parrot’s poops will remain the same in size and consistency. Your parrots diet can affect the color of the fecal matter at times. This is normal. The seed eating parrots will produce green feces, while the pellet eating parrots tend to produce brownish colored feces. Carrots can give the fecal part of the dropping a distinctly orange hue and certain berries will also effect the coloring, making my black raspberry loving goffins cockatoo’s poops a horrifying red color. Once these foods have been digested, the color of the poop will return to its normal green to brown range. Be aware that the color of the urates should always remain white and the urine should always be clear.

The consistency of your bird’s poop can tell you a lot as well. When a parrot is stressed (like mine are at the vet) and their blood pressure rises, they will produce very liquidy poops. Also, after they eat fruit, which has a high water content, the poops can be runny. This is increased urine, also normal under these circumstances, and will return to a typical consistency once the stress is removed, or the fruit is digested. This is often incorrectly thought of as diarrhea, which is only truly the case when the fecal potion of the dropping is not well formed. It is a cause for concern. In a stressed or fruit eating bird, there will always be the presence of tube shaped fecal matter. The size of the droppings should also remain consistent. If they decrease in size or frequency, it could be a sign that your parrot is not eating or has an intestinal blockage. There should be no odor to the droppings.

Abnormal droppings

In any of these cases, call your vet right away:

-Red or black blood in the droppings. This is a sign of internal bleeding, egg binding or intestinal infection. It can also mean your parrot has swallowed an object.

-Bubbles or air pockets in the droppings are signs of gas or infection.

-Undigested food can mean pancreatic problems, infection and is a symptom of Proventricular Dialation Disease ( or PDD – which I will be doing a post on in the near future).

-Diarrhea can be brought about by many things including parasites, infection and digestive problems.

-Persistent (lasting a day or two) liquidy droppings (called polyuria) can be the result of infection or kidney disease.

-Decreased urine suggests dehydration.

-Yellow or green urates signal liver disease.

-Yellow urine indicates infection or kidney disease.

Our birds are pooping machines. They poop all day long, and we have all gotten up close and personal with it. Take the time to know what is normal for your bird and make it easy for you to identify a problem at its onset.

Prevention Is The Best Medicine

While a veterinarian is always a good idea, most of these problems are preventable by correcting your birds diet.

For a free video on how to adjust your bird’s diet in a way that can keep health problems at bay, click here: http://www.birdtricks.com/naturalfeeding/

The video is an interview of Jamie Womach, and how she discovered the diet she was feeding her birds was literally killing them, and how she turned it around… I think you’ll find it quite insightful.

Used From http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/what-your-parrots-p...