Can I ask my own car insurance to pay?

I was a passenger in my friends car when a tire from a semi ( that drove away and identity is unknown) hit several cars and my back hurts. I want to go to a chiropractor but have no insurance. I don't want to sue the driver or go after the drivers insurance because he is my friend. Can I choose to ask my own insurance company to pay?

Favorite Answer

Yes and no. In this case the insurance on your friends car would be primary coverage. The coverages would be his Medical Pay Coverage - which pays for medical bills incurred by passengers that were hurt in his car, this would pay your bills to see the chiropractor. This coverage is an option for your friend to have, so he may or may not have medical coverage. Usually the limits for this coverage will be 5k, 10k 15k per person -per accident. There are higher limits available.

The next coverage on his policy that would be in effect is his Uninsured Motorists for Injury. They will have to investigate the accident to confirm the facts as you stated so hopefully you have a police report and / or witness names to give the insurance company. Once they determine that the party at fault for the accident cannot be found or identified they extend the UM coverage to you. This coverage is like actually placing liability insurance coverage on the truck that got away. It may be difficult to understand but his insurance company will now be handling the claim as though they were insuring the other vehicle. This type of claim should not affect your friends insurance policy because he has no fault in this accident.

So if he has Medical Pay Coverage that will pay your medical bills directly to the doctor as you incur re the bills until you are better or limits are reached.

Once your inury is resolved you will then have an injury claim under his UM policy. That claim will be for any costs or expenses you incurre because of the accident. For example : if you miss work, if you have to pay for transportation to the doctor, ect.. You will also have a claim for what they pain and suffering that you incurred because often injury. That amount is unknown and you will have to negotiate that with the insurance company.

Now if he does not have Medical Coverage and you do have that coverage on your policy you may want to file a claim with your company so they can pay your medical bills. Read your policy to see if you will be covered in another car or call your agent and explain. But every coverage on your friends policy is PRIMARY meaning they will be responsible to pay first before your insurance will be effective. Your policy would only be available if 1) your friend has no insurance or 2) he has insurance but your injury exceeds the limits of coverage he has.

Your friend should not worry about his insurance being affected by this type of claim, at least not in California, This whole explanation is based on California laws ect.. If you are in another state just go on-line to the Insurance Commissioners website of your state for the laws and how policies are affected.

Hope this helps and that you get better soon.

One last thing is if you were injured you a statute of limitations to make a claim which is one year from the date of accident. If you do nothing with in that year you lose all your rights for any claim or lawsuit. Again check your states laws and attorney if you think this may become an issue.

I recommend that you visit this internet site where onel can get rates from different companies: http://quotesdeal.net/index.html?src=3YAZWl56NHB49...

RE :Can I ask my own car insurance to pay?

Follow 11 answers

Source(s): I recommend that you visit this internet site where onel can get rates from different companies: http://quotesdeal.net/index.html?src=3YAZWl56NHB49...

Help yourself you can check your quotes in internet for example here http://help.howmuchiscarinsurance.us/-jzqgeKM583

RE Can I ask my own car insurance to pay?

• lucy

When you file a claim on your friends policy, you are not suing him, only filing a claim.

Your profile says Ohio, so he might have medical payment coverage on his policy. If so, it pays for the driver and ANY passenger that is injured in an auto accident. Does not matter if your friend is at fault or not, since it pays for any treatment that is related to an accident. So if you need treatment, call his company up and ask if he has coverage and if so, they will have you complete forms and inform you how much coverage there is. In some states, he could be as little as $1,000, but the average is anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000.

Now (IF), there is no medical payment coverage on his policy, then you can file a claim on YOUR auto policy. But, your policy would not pay, unless he has no coverage, since it is secondary, (OR), if he has only $1,000 and your treatment is $2,000, then you would file on your policy to cover the balance.

You could also file an injury claim on his policy, which would fall under the uninsured bodily injury, (IF) your friend has purchased the coverage.

Talk to the adjuster and they should explain what coverage your friend has, since that is their job.

But, your insurance company wont get involved, (unless), there is no coverage.

good luck

For free insurance quotes

If he has insurance just get his info and it won't hurt him, but you need to contact them and get it figured out, your back is important and that's what uninsured coverage is for, and medical, they will cover you! If they are a real friend, your health should be important and they don't cover chiropractor's because you don't need insurance to go to one, they are cheap and personally I wouldn't use them. Maybe once every few years, it's not good to adjust your back a lot unless needed. Get help soon, you need your back

When you say my own insurance , do you mean health or car?

route66mca@gmail.com

• Hugo90

There is no charge to ask. The rules covering this differ from place to place.

You know there are several discounts you can apply? Find the best promotions for you at: QUOTESDEAL.NET