Zero asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 8 years ago

Was his majesty Emperor Haile Selassie I god ?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Haile Selassie I (23 July 1892 – 27 August 1975), born Tafari Makonnen, was Ethiopia's regent from 1916 to 1930 and Emperor of Ethiopia from 1930 to 1974. He was the heir to a dynasty that traced its origins to the 13th century, and from there by tradition back to King Solomon and Queen Makeda, Empress of Axum, known in the Abrahamic tradition as the Queen of Sheba. Haile Selassie is a defining figure in both Ethiopian and African history.

At the League of Nations in 1936, the emperor condemned the use of chemical weapons by Italy against his people. His internationalist views led to Ethiopia becoming a charter member of the United Nations, and his political thought and experience in promoting multilateralism and collective security have proved seminal and enduring. His suppression of rebellions among the nobles (mekwannint), as well as what some perceived to be Ethiopia's failure to modernize adequately, earned him criticism among some contemporaries and historians.

Among the Rastafari movement, whose followers are estimated at between 200,000 and 800,000, Haile Selassie is revered as the returned messiah of the Bible, God incarnate. Beginning in Jamaica in the 1930s, the Rastafari movement perceives Haile Selassie as a messianic figure who will lead a future golden age of eternal peace, righteousness, and prosperity. Haile Selassie was an Ethiopian Orthodox Christian throughout his life.

Source(s): wiki//
  • gile
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Haile Selassie Hands

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

He was a god of evil of the most socially and economically backward nation on earth.The fact that Ethiopia has never been colonized hence civilized has a lot to do with that.By the way every Ethiopian man thinks he is a god and that is why so many Ethiopian women and children are viciously and mercilessly abused.Ethiopia is the world leader in domestic abuse cases.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

God creates more than he kills, Selassie killed a lot of people but God didn't seem to mind because he kept him in power for a long long time.

Source(s): History.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

No

The emperor believed that he was a god, just as many monarchs throughout history believed that they were ordained by a deity to rule

Source(s): history books
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

No. the way i kno it he is supposed to be the next living decendant to the ancient throne of david. its very peculiar to me also because my cousin, a rastafarian, tried to tell me about him so we walkt to the local public library. went to where the national geographic mags are, and the only issue missing wuz the 1 we were looking for. i'll neva 4get it he said "bless-ed, dey trying to erase him from history. jahjah gone show u".

• Lili
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Some people thought so. As an atheist, I disagree quite firmly.

• 8 years ago

no

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.