I was too afraid to go to a GSA meeting?

Today I had planned on going to my school's weekly gay straight alliance meeting. However, I got really nervous right before walking in and ended up walking back to my car. I've wanted to go for years. Fall semester ends next week and there is only one more meeting. I even requested today off so I could go. Also, in my car before I went in because I was nervous, I flipped a coin to help make up my mind. Heads I go, tails I go back home. The coin landed heads. But, when I got to the door this afternoon I walked away. I am afraid I won't fit in. People never ever suspect me of being gay. I've had miserable experiences at gay bars and clubs before. I don't think I would have anything to talk about with members of the club. I'm not sure though because I always wuss out. I feel really bad about it though. Ever since I got home it's all I can think about. I don't have anybody who would go with me. Atleast by next week.Can you please give me advice on going to next weeks meeting(the last meeting of the semester).

Favorite Answer

You are getting too nerved up about it. You will probably go in, think 'this is it', maybe feel awkward for a bit, then it will be over and maybe you will have liked it but regardless you will have an idea what it was like. The people there are not going to stare as you walk in and say "OMG is he gay!" Really, just think about those people who are not afraid to do anything. What would they think? What would they do? If they were curious they would go because they wanted to see it, and that is all the reason they would need. Too bad if anybody thought anything of it right. So really what is the worst thing that can happen? What is the worst thing that can happen? What is the worst thing that can happen? You'll go, and that will be that. Maybe you'll have a great time, but even if it sin't for you, you will be helping yourself because then you will be able to stop thinking about it.

I know how you feel. I feel like that over stuff all the time. What I've realized is that life is too short, it's not a big deal, even if I get embarrassed that is life , still no big deal, and I just do it anyway.Plus as a gay guy you really should start building some roots in the gay community. You sound like you are starved for it, so go and put yourself out there to meet new people. They will be glad to know you as well. Just imagine if everybody who had any anxiety about doing this stuff the first time never did it. Nobody would be there, and that would be awful. And you know what? There are a ton of people just like you who don't participate in these types of activities for similar reasons, or maybe because they finally went once and didn't meet anybody interesting there. You know why that is? It is because you were not there. Maybe you missed out on finding the guy of your dreams, or the best friend you ever could have had, or on learning something interesting that would put you on a path that would change your life.

Last summer was the second pride parade and festival that my town has had. I didn't have anyone to go with that day, and I knew it would be really small, and I had barely gotten any sleep. I really was close to not going, but I said f-it and went. It was so small and awkward I basically ended up being part of the parade just because nobody was watching it and I needed to go the same way as it was. It was awkward just like I thought it would be, but I got recruited to volunteer for the marriage campaign in my state while I was there. This led to me volunteering more. Because of that I have met some of the most amazing people who have inspired me greatly, and I became a part of history. Honestly being involved in this changed my life, but if I had not gone to that parade I wouldn't have been recruited for it. So go live your life. I it won't hurt. What's the worst that can happen? :) Good luck.

As the president of a GSA in Alaska (yeah yeah, I know) we're always wanting new people to stop in and just be there. Most LGBT youth have gone through a considerable amount of bigotry and teasing so we've learned to be very accepting of others no matter who they are or where they come from. Stop in and just sit and listen to the meeting and you'll soon find that you have a bond with these people that's forged in the hottest flames. The friends I've made in our GSA are going to be friends with me for life and it's always nice to have a support group like that to back you up or make you happy when you're feeling down.

Don't worry so much. It's a GSA. If you're not ready to come out to everyone, you can at least go as an ally.

I feel a connection to a lot of gay people that I've met. Facing the kind of discrimination a lot of us have faced is a bonding experience. Whether you're out or not, whether you faced discrimination from friends and family, or not, a GSA is a place where you can go, and not be judged for being gay. It's nice.

Source(s): I am a raging homo.

I feel the same way and I actually didn't fit in. They were too "queer" and they got together simply because they were non-sexual normative, the room of people had nothing else in common ... but that doesn't mean you shouldn't go. If you don't like the meeting then just don't go again. No one will judge you :- )

I think it's just my university that has a kinda sucky LGBT club, but I'm sure other schools are different.

I don't think your giving them the benefit of the doubt you think they well be the same as the people you see at the bar but really they all get together so they can have a place where there accepted.

They don't go to the meetings to find a date they go to find friends they can relate too :3

I've been to some of my schools GSA meetings and honestly, it's not that bad. Just introduce yourself if someone asks your name. If no one asks then just try to be a part of the meeting when you can. You don't have to say anything. Believe it or not there might be someone at the meeting who was like you, scared to go.

Just start walking and dont look back. Easier said then done but when you open the door try thinking of something funny because it eases your tension and distracts you until your already there.

i would say... if u really relaly wanna go... just go... don't wuss out... if u don't feel comfortable after a while... just leave... u don't really have to go to those places, u will live if u don't...b ut if u wanna give it a try, and see if u can make some friends there, u won't lose anythin... don't like it... get up and leave

just go, you don't have to talk, or anything just go, what ever you do don't not go, I know people stuck all alone out there, in places with out gay clubs who would kill to have a GSA to go to so stop freaking wimping out dude