Where do you rank Gregg Poppovich among best coaches ever?

Favorite Answer

People are going to call me crazy, but I think hes the best coach all-time. How many rings have Phil Jackson won without a Jordan or Kobe.

Pop has 4 rings of his own. The Spurs have won atelast 50 games in each of the last thirteen seasons!! Thats is unheard of!! He even managed 50 in the lockout shorten season last year.

Personally I think hes better than Jack.

Jackson

Poppovich

Riley

@ nba_gsw,

That's true & good but what does matter more? Winning 50 games or more on a Regular Season or winning in the Finals? LOL I care less if my favorite team has 35-37 or becomes 7th seed it doesn't matter as long we win in the Finals.

Phil Jackson has won 11 titles & lost 2 titles back in 2004 & 2008 while Poppovich only has won 4 titles & 0 losses. The one thing that I don't like Poppovich, is his temper. He gets mad on everything & that's why he aged so much.

1) Red Auerbach. Still the standard for basketball drills (such as the long pass drill), adapting to personnel on the roster, and getting the most out of players. Don Nelson, Bill Russell and Bob Cousy attest to that.

2) Pat Riley. Convinced the Showtime LA Lakers to focus a little more on defense, turned the early 1990s New York Knicks into East contenders, and created a winning atmosphere in Miami. Plus a coaching tree that has long roots (ex. Doc Rivers, Monty Williams, the Van Gundy brothers, Paul Silas, Erik Spoelstra, Byron Scott, Tom Thibodeau).

3) Greg Popovich. I wanna see if he can win without Tim Duncan. But to win in the NBA while turning the San Antonio Spurs from a halfcourt-oriented team to a running team in the span of 7-8 years is impressive. Plus, an impressive coaching/team handling tree (ex. Mike Brown, [OKC GM] Sam Presti, Avery Johnson, Doc Rivers, Jacque Vaughn, Vinny del *****).

4) Phil Jackson. Managed to get head cases such as Metta World Peace, Andrew Bynum and Dennis Rodman to buy into his system. More championships than Auerbach, yes, but has yet to win a championship without a dominant scorer.

5) Chuck Daly. Only 2 championships, but got the most out of his players during his Detroit Pistons, New Jersey Nets and Dream Team I stints.

I agree with nba_gsw, I think he's the GOAT as far as coaches go, or at least he has a very good case.

He's had the least talent to work with amongst multiple championship winning coaches (Jackson and Aurebach had the absolute cream of the crop as far as talent goes). He's also maintained a + 70% winning rate for a decade and a half despite multiple roster and style changes.

Top 10 all time. I don't actually have a list complied but he and Phil Jackson are in my top 10.

he's without a doubt in my top 5

best ever is Phil Jackson

Source(s): SWISH
  • He's behind Red and Phil. It's a toss-up after that you can't really go wrong with Pop, Riley, Daly, etc.

Those of you who didn't include Red.....I'm ashamed of you.

Second best all time. Right behind Phil Jackson.

1..he did it in a small market team