My computer is making a humming sound, is it going to be stop on it's own or is there something I can do?

I just have a $300 laptop from Walmart. Compaq. I have had it for about a year & a half. I have been listening to radio shows on the internet. I have left my computer on a lot. Does that ruin the computer? thank you.

Favorite Answer

Firstly, compaq's are known for running hot. You have two choices one is to place it on a cooling device with fans whcih can run from 20-50 bucks! Or, simply prop it up using a heat resistant item such as a book or old cutting board to allow circulation through it. If your computer has the option to turn the screen off while allowing the volume to remain on it would be a good idea to use it. The humming sound is probably just the fan running faster to meet up eith the over heating. Don't run the laptop too fast and don't watch movies (more than 2hrs for normal 30m HD) without 10 minute breaks in between. Radio shows wont really make it run hard as long as the air can circulate with a propping item!

Source(s): I've been a computer engineer for 45 years.
  • Jim

always use a laptop cooler. today, a 200mm fan cooler would be best I think for any laptop,though for lower end laptops you can probably get by with a lower cost cooler using smaller fans.

what you are experiencing is NOT normal. it sounds like damage. if you return it for warranty replacement, you are likely to get a refurb, not new. a possible alternative is to connect an external USB audio interface. they come in all grades. sweetwater.com makes some low-latency audio interfaces like the lexicon alpha,lambda, and omega. those have a headphone jack,but those are made to interface to pro mics like a Shure SM58 for example. and they cost $100+.

the syba interface uses traditional 3.5mm pc-style jacks and is very inexpensive (and probably has some latency).

latency is delay.

another thing you might do is repair your filesystem and reinstall the sound drivers. costs nothing.

My notebooks stay on 24/7 for the years that I own them and I can never hear them. If I was to use them on cloth surfaces now and then, they would collect lint into their fans and then make noise.

• Tigger

When mine hummed I turned it off, took the tower cover off and sprayed air in it to get the dust off the fans etc. It worked...

I would never buy laptop from Walmart. These systems are def not good for a long run.

It won't do anything may just be annoying by its fine