Does this guy friend of mine like me?

I had a class with a guy in spring semester of 2011. He is an all around great guy and definitely my type. At the end of that semester, he asked me to go to his fraternity's formal. I said no because my grandfather was very ill in the hospital, and I needed to spend time with him (he eventually passed away in the summer of 2011). I didn't see him again until the fall of 2011 when I ran into him at one of my sorority's date parties. He was there with one of my sisters, but we still hung out a bit and talked. I see him at a lot of my sorority's social functions because he's good friends with one of my sisters,and also his fraternity actively supports a lot of our philanthropic events. Every time I see him at a social function or just around campus, he always stops and gives me a huge hug and talks to me. I had a crush on him that semester we had the class together, but I never did anything about it.

Well, a few weeks ago, I decided to ask him to my sorority's formal, which is this Saturday. It took him almost two weeks to get back to me. I had to ask him over facebook because i didn't have his number. He was apologetic for not getting back with me sooner, and told me that he had already promised one of my sisters that he would be her date. However, he said that if I had a free day, then he could take me out on a "real date" (his words).

So basically, he asks me to his formal first.... i decline respectfully

I ask him to my formal a year and a half later, he declines respectfully due to prior obligations, but asks if he can take me on a date.

Could he legitimately like me or am I over thinking this? Guys, what are your intentions when you typically ask a girl out. I've known him for almost 2 years, and I'm positive he's not the type to ask a girl out, have sex with her, and then fall off the face of the earth. Thoughts?

He likes you, he probably really wants to go to that dance with you but wants to be a nice guy

i honestly think he likes you.