Is a surgical technologist a good career change?

I have been considering going back to school for a surgical technician after my dreams of being a police officer did not work out. Is this a good career to work in? Is there job security, and what is starting and top pay usually?

Favorite Answer

"No?" That's all you can say to answer to this person?

Surgical Technologists make great money. You go to school for 1 year, that's it, and you can start at about $28,xxx to about $36,xxx starting out. It depends on where you work, some facility's pay more, it also depends on your shift. I live in Tennessee, and one of the Hospitals here start you out with no experience at $13.10 an hour for morning shift, which is usually the hours of 7a-3p and are usually on call a lot of the time. If you work 2nd shift, they pay and extra $3.00 an hour, so you would make $16.10 an hour working 3p-11p, and they are usually not on call unless you want to be. If you work 3rd shift, you get paid an extra $6.00 an hour, which comes out to $19.10 an hour, and would be working 11p-7a and are usually not on call unless you want to be. If you work weekends, (Saturday and Sunday) You get paid an extra $6.00 an hour. So, let's say, I work 3rd shift, from 11p-7a, and I'm working a Saturday shift from 11p-7a, I'm already making $19.10 an hour plus the $6.00 an hour, now I would make $25.10 and hour for Saturday and Sunday (If worked) You get raises here only for 6 years, the first 2 years you get two evaluation raises plus your regular yearly raises. So that's two raises a year for the first two years then only one raise a year for the next four years. then after that you max out at your pay, then you never get another raise unless you further your career such as becoming a CFA (Certifies First Assistant) But the only way to apply for this course is with at least 2-3 years Full-Time work as a Surgical Technologist. CFA's make a lot of money, probably about $70k-$90k a year depending on shift. I've done a lot of research on this program because I am considering it myself. I've heard a lot of people bash this job, the reason why they do is because you get nasty Surgeons sometimes, they are a**holes sometimes, but there are A LOT of really good conceited Surgeons who LOVE to show off and are great help. But every job has an a**hole in their, no matter where you go. Another reason for bashing this job is because you're on call a lot, who cares? Right? More money, plus if you're on call you get paid $3.50 an hour just to sit on your a** at the house for a 24 hour on-call shift. That's $84 bucks just to sit at home an wait to be called in. But this also depends on how many hours you stay on call, if you get 10 hours at $3.50 then get called in you get paid time and a half. More money for you again. The other bashing on this job is because you have to stand for long periods of time. which can catch up to you. if you're in surgery for a 9 hour surgery, you can't go pee, ****, eat, snack, nothing, you're in that spot for 9 hours, you can't sit because they want you up and not dosing off, they want you to function properly. This is probably the worst part of the job, but hell, I've sat in for a 6 1/2 hour surgery before, it goes by so damn quick, it's so fascinating time just ran by. So, If you can deal with these cons I'd go.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): surgical technologist good career change: https://bitly.im/nE9p1

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/ayhka

We had a x-ray tech program start at the local junior college start up a couple years ago. First two classes were full of people who started with something else including a student who was a world class chef(she lost her sense of smell). So you shouldn't have any problem other than the "paying your dues" part.GOOD LUCK night shift x-ray tech

no