FBI called me?? 10 points?

Today while my mom was working supposedly the FBI called her saying we downloaded pirated music. In which no one in our family does. We use to have our wifi router unprotected cause we didnt know how to set it up with password until recently I youtubed it at my school.

So I'm wondering, is this call real? My mom says "FBI" and they called her with an unknown number.

They say we owe "1,200" dollars and my mom has to go to San Francisco tomorrow idk for why cause they told her to go. Will they arrest my mom? She's not a citizen or resident so can they deport her?

Please help

No one in our family ever downloads music. Except software like java or iTunes. Stuff like that

READ My mom actually spoke to a real life person. I seen many questions here on yahoo and all are like machine operators. They called and on the phone it showed "unknown" and they told her to go to San Francisco tomorrow to sign some papers? Idk?? But it was a male who talked to her

Sorry not San Fransico. San fernando

Favorite Answer

The FBI doesn't call people, they would knock on doors.

Also, the FBI doesn't deal with pirated music. The company is going to take you to court before any form of any law enforcement is going to get involved. And even before that, your internet is going to be shut off.

Some clues to this is you said you OWE money? Owe money for what? To who? Proof of what, you are innocent until found guilty in a court of law.

Ingore this call. They probably didn't even know who the internet was registered to, don't know your address, don't know anyone's name at the residence. Don't know who your internet provider is.

Even if they did know half that information, it wouldn't mean that it isn't available publicly anyways.

Now if they had dates and file names and the amount of data for each file, maybe there would be something, but that could be easy to just make up.

Though it isn't a good idea to leave your network unsecured.

It doesn't matter if it was a person or not. Where did they tell her to go, did you look up the address even? And who or what department she is supposed to talk to? And papers for what? No one can be compelled to sign anything.

It is probably a scam because the legit FBI would come knock at your door or send a postcard to your home. If someone ever calls you to send money is a COMPLETE FRAUD! Never listen to them - PC

Scam or prank.

No one from the FBI would tell her to bring money or the exact amount for anything, let alone a civil matter like downloads.

FBI does not collect fines.

Source(s): retired cop

If its not at a FBI Office she shouldnt go in to the office. But the are cracking down on everyone downloadiing copywrighted material. leaving your wifi and computers unprotected is no excuse. Sorry

Someone with the least common sense will know this is a scam.

yeah i got that call too

it s called a scam

they will next tell you that you can pay X amount to avoid traveling etc.

*NO Experience Necessary!!

*At home job

*work your own hours

*Full Time/Part time

*Training Available

CLICK HERE TO GET STARTED TODAY---------------------->>>http://internetpaydaysystem.com/Jessie001

No that was a prank call

No it is a scam.