Can you use a old harddrive and os on a new built computer?

Im building my brother a computer for christmas and want to use a old hard drive with vista i know the drivers wont match can i reinstall the os to match my new computer?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You can use the harddrive, but the OS won't transfer. As said, you will likely have to reinstall it and call Microsoft to validate it. If you tell them what you want it for I'm sure they won't care to revalidate it for you. If you have the original install disc you can try just reinstsalling it to see if it works, but you'll probably have to call Microsoft. If it's a new enough computer you might just buy a copy of Windows 7 and save him the horror of having to use Vista and save your self the trouble installing it.

• Jim
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

yes and no.

if the OS is OEM and bios-locked, then no. OEM is licensed to stay with the computer.

I don't think it would be legal to do this given microsoft's licenses.

the least expensive route is 7 home premium full retail at $180

pro and ult have the capability of xp mode for running xp apps in a virtual machine.

even if you were to use the oem you would have to do os repair or format,and there would be driver differences since all the hw is different (cpu, mobo, hd, RAM). os may throw a fit.

download all your drivers first!

and don't do a download version of windows! get the box.

• Hunter
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

HDD, yes, OS, no. assuming it's a generic version, it's bound to the motherboard it's originally installed on.

For HDD, you can just unplug it from your old, make sure it's standard 3"5 size and you have enough bays for that size, then plug a SATA cable from your Mobo into the HDD, then it's good to go.

Good luck!

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

it particularly is super for the hot buiders and in case you're actually not wanting a super computer and might cope with some artwork arounds and bugs you may run into I say super. you likely will could call in a reactivate the homestead windows do to the hot hardware. sturdy success!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

You can, but it might have some consequences, like having to call Microsoft to validate your install.

• 8 years ago

No! Why bother doing that when you can buy a new one instead?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.