How do you know if a baby is being physically/emotionally harmed?

Hey guys,

Well my girlfriend has a 1 year old baby who is my stepdaughter (long story) i have a very great connection with her because she thinks im the dad and even though she's not my blood, i concider her my child:) ANYWAY... my girlfriend and i suspect that her parents are mistreating the baby when she is not around.. Is there a very helpful way of finding out or are there any websites that can give us some warning signs? we would appreciate it.

Warning signs for any kind of abuse are definitely show through the child's development. If there is a sudden stunt in development, that is a red flag. This can be shown through behavior:

If the child has sudden changes in behavior. For example, if her baby used to be happy, giggly, and make a lot of noises. Then that suddenly stops. Baby doesn't talk. Does not respond. Doesn't move as much. That could be a sign.

Obviously, sexual abuse would be swelling, redness, and bleeding in the genital area.

Read this: http://www.babycenter.com/0_child-abuse-how-to-tel...

There is a few paragraphs on that page for warning signs of physical, sexual, and emotional abuse in infants.

If you have any evidence or just cause of abuse, stop all contact with the people who are abusing the child. If that is not possible, file a police report or call CPS

A child who has been physically abused may:

Cry and put up a fight when it's time to go to daycare, or appear frightened around the caregiver or other adults.

Come home with unexplained bruises, abrasions, burns, broken bones, black eyes, cuts, bite marks, or other injuries. Repeated injuries of any type can be a warning sign.

A baby who has been emotionally abused may:

Display behavioral problems or changes such as shunning a parent's affections — or, alternately, becoming excessively clingy.

Have a loss of appetite.

Have nightmares or trouble sleeping.

A baby who has been sexually abused may:

Have bleeding or bruises in or around the genital area.

Have difficulty sitting, possibly because of genital or anal pain.

Suffer from urinary tract infections.

Keep in mind that signs of shaken baby syndrome (SBS), which most often happens to babies who are shaken in anger, can be minor or severe.

A baby with SBS may seem glassy-eyed, appear rigid, lethargic, irritable, have a decreased appetite, difficulty feeding, or vomiting. He may be unable to focus his eyes on an object or lift his head. In severe cases, he may have difficulty breathing, or he may have seizures, heart failure, coma, and unconsciousness.

The site below will help you with deciding what to do if you suspect abuse.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_child-abuse-what-to-do...

Source(s): Mommy of two babies

Are they any unexplained bruises, bumps or cuts on the child?

Does the little girl cry when you or her mum leave the room. (while her parents are there)

Is she particularly guiet around your gfs parents?

Does she ever refuse to go to them?

If you expect this for one second. NEVER. And i mean NEVER leave this little girl with her grandparents. Its wrong and they should be hung for it!!

Im sorry but that just how i feel. Its sick and if anyone is found to be doing this, they shoukd never be allowed to see the oytside of prison walls again.

If anyone dared lay a finger on my son then i would be hold responsible for my actions.

How do u think that poor girl feels

I work in childcare and this website is really good for helping us to spot the signs of all 3 kinds of abuse

http://www.kirkleessafeguardingchildren.co.uk/sign...