Andrew
Andrew asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationFishing · 8 years ago

Bigger baits=bigger fish but what bigger bait?

Im talking in a pond with no stocked fish just nature doing its job. No one fishes this pond as far as I know because its on private property. Anyway when I do get to fish it I pull huge fish out all day cast after cast. I have yet to get a fish under 1 lb in there. Now that I have heavier gear Im going to try for the biggest fish in the pond. Its a 1-2 acre pond I would guess with duck weed and tons of vegatation. The bass feed on sunfish I suppose but there is also frogs and all types of creatures you would find in the woods. Its man made with shallow and deep parts. I dont think a bluegill bait would stand out. A 6-7 inch bait will catch the usual which is still great. So what do I need? I was thinking like a 15 inch plastic worm. Any ideas?

Oh wait my profile pic is it. I think I answered my own Q. What about a bass swimbait? I need a big one the size of a bass you would catch lol. Anyone know a good one?

Cowboy-Ya but theres a very large quantity of fish (well there was in the spring and will hopefully still be there) anyway theres a large group of fish that will eat a 8 inch lure with ease. I need a BIG lure. Some of these fish average 5 lbs. Ive seen some huge ones I thought were carp.

• Mike S
    Favorite Answer

Use some large Creek Chubs or Large Minnows/Shiners for live bait.....#6 hook.

• Nathan

If there not there, you cant catch them. I fish a pond like that. I found the best bait is large shiners or a large sunfish swimbait or fishing a very big crank or spro frog.

Source(s): I fish

My personal opinion is not to listen to these people saying use shiners. You want a BIG BASS lure, look up the huddleston delux swimbait. Here is a link to their 8" version https://www.huddbaits.com/index.php?p=21&cat=3.. I cought my largest bass ever on a deep diving crankbait, 7lb 2 oz. I also caught a 5lb 10 oz bass on a 4" senko lol.

• paul z

A big bait would be something like that used for saltwater stripers,like a rapala magnum,some rebels or storm baits used for the salt are big,like a foot long or more,you can use them in freshwater,but they won't have a lm bass pattern,maybe a silver one or a gold might work.You very well might look into a wooden plug like that,or a project to whittle one yourself.

no longer real catfish eat with the aid of scent so as a replace of applying enormous bait basically use enormous stench. as a fashion to capture a huge catfish you're able to desire to discover the nicely suited area no longer in basic terms the nicely suited bait. On river monsters Jeremy Wade places many hooks into his bait so as that little fish cant nibble it off.

try out a muskie jitterbug.they work great on BIG bass.