Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 8 years ago

Could I have a yeast infection?

I think I may have a yeast infection. I've had a somewhat itchy vagina for a week or so now I guess. I originally thought I had hemorrhoids, but now my vagina is a little itchier. I also have some discharge, but there is no foul smell. I also get a tiny bit of discomfort if my boyfriend fingers me.

I went to my ob/gyn in August and I had a full std screen -- all clear. I also haven't put myself in a situation that would put me at risk for std's. My boyfriend is std-free and we haven't yet progressed to sex or anything like that because the relationship is relatively new, but condoms will definitely be used if/when that happens.

I had a yeast infection earlier this year (July) after being on antibiotics for strep throat. I also had ankle surgery on Monday and I know I had plenty of antibiotics for that, which I'm sure isn't helping my situation. I swim regularly and I always change out of my bathing suit immediately, but I'm wondering if putting on sweatpants or yoga pants after my shower may be causing the problem. Or even the chlorine in the pool too.

Does this sound like a yeast infection? I plan on calling my doctor tomorrow, and he'll probably prescribe Diflucan. Thanks for the help!

Favorite Answer

It does sound like a yeast infection, though I would consult your doctor just to be sure. Since you've had a yeast infection before, you probably already have a good idea of what to expect, but it's always a good idea to check with your doctor to make sure you're treating yourself correctly. Antibiotics can play havoc on your body's natural yeast, and recovering from illnesses, or in your case, surgery, can lower your immunity, making you more susceptible to yeast infections. Especially with the addition of antibiotics, which aren't particular about the bacteria it kills--both the bad and the good--which can be a bad thing since good bacteria helps to keep your body's natural yeast in balance.

Changing out of your swimsuit immediately after swimming is a smart move. The chlorine in the pool can cause or exacerbate a yeast infection, because it effects the pH levels of your vagina. The synthetic fabric that swimsuits are made of doesn't help, nor does the fact that you're obviously going to be wet in the pool, and yeast thrives in warm, wet environments. When you talk to your doctor, let him know that you are a swimmer. He may suggest taking a break, at least until the yeast infection clears up. When you get out of the shower, pat your "lady bits" dry (don't rub), and wear panties with a cotton crotch. Cotton allows the area to breathe, keeping it drier and a less hospitable environment. Or you may want to consider skipping panties altogether if you can and wear a nightgown/long shirt. I hope you get to feeling better soon!

2

Source(s): Yeast Infection Home Remedy - http://yeastcure.trustdd.com/?UOkR

Once I had a bacteria infection for three months in a row and went to a new gynecologist at my school to find out that the soap me and my bf were using on our genitals was causing me all the problems. She told me to use the sensitive unscented dove bar soap and I havent gotten an infection since. The reason for a yeast infection or bacteria infection is due to a disrupted ph balance in the vagina. Scented soaps and laundry detergents can cause this and is what caused all my problems. Everything I use has to be unscented and for sensitive skin. You should try that and also taking cranberry and grape seed extract pills that you can buy at walmart.

Eliminate Yeast Infection Fast : http://yeastcured.uzaev.com/?RFkk