Describe your own "American Dream"?

I'm doing a research paper for English and I need a survey of random people. It's focused on the American Dream in the 1920's (Great Gatsby) and today's American Dream.

Describe what you believed the American Dream to be and if it lived up to your expectation. How was the American Dream different from when you grew up until now? Is there even a difference? Thank you!

• Bette
    Favorite Answer

You should check Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas out at the library and read chapter 9, Breakdown on Paradise Blvd. or email me and I'll send it to you. The whole book has the death of the American Dream throughout it as the main theme, the subtitle of the book being, A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream, but the theme peaks in this chapter where Duke and his attorney stop in a taco joint and actually ask the confused people there where they can find the American Dream in Vegas. It's a very darkly funny and sharp edged perfectly HST declaration of the death of the American Dream.

I can also tell you a bit about Oswald Spengler if you like. I don't think you wanna read Decline of the West just for an assignment. I haven't even read the entire two volume monster of a thing(yet).

Let me give you a personal definition for your survey:

Basically the American Dream is creating something out of nothing. It's the ability to pursue happiness through capitalism. So, if you start out very poor and then create a business and the business becomes successful, you've achieved the American Dream. That's essentially impossible now. Anyone who encourages people to shop at local, privately owned businesses is considered some out of touch, hippie, liberal, bleeding heart trust fund kid who can only afford to do so because their rich parents support them etc. Essentially, "unamerican". It's becoming increasingly difficult to get American citizenship so the idea of being an immigrant coming here to make something of yourself and your family isn't really the case anymore. Even people who do actually get to become citizens aren't up here starting their own businesses. They have it worse than the people who chose to come here illegally. Basically, the American dream depends on a thriving economy which is not what we have now.

• Rob

The american dream to me is starting on the bottom and working my way up to the top of a company, going from nothing to something, being rich and having a nice family

That implies your nationality is American your ancestral background is pakistani your ethnicity is some thing customs/tradition you observe humans never seize the differences betwixt ethnicity, nationality, race, and ancestry