Buying a power tool for my boyfriend for Christmas?

My boyfriend has really really been wanting a power drill so that's what I am planning on buying him for Christmas. Problem is I am absolutely clueless about tools and he hasnt dropped any hints about what kind he would like! :( He does work on a lot of things...everything from cars and houses and foundations and everything between so I need to give him something that will last and something that he will be proud of!! Please help me guys!!

Favorite Answer

just but power tool for free and give something better to your boyfriend

Well I have dealt with most major power tool companies working in a hardware store for the past thirty five years and my favorite is Makita Power Tools. I have owned one and used them for as many years too. I personally don't care for Black and Decker. They are also Dewalt. They kind of loss their quality throughout the years. Craftsman is still pretty good. Riyobi are good tools but I still like the Makita brand. I must say they have raised their prices a little though. If you do not want to spend that much or just plain don't have the funds, Skill Power tools still make a very good tool at an affordable price. With as much as your boyfriend does around the house, I am thinking he would want to have a cordless drill instead of a corded one. Think about getting an extra battery for what ever tool you do choose. Keeps you from getting a headache waiting for the battery to re-charge! One more thing... Sorry this is not an answer from a guy like you requested.

I agree with Sandy, I nice cordless Makita is a good way to go as is Milwaukee, though Ive felt Milwaukee is better for real commercial work as opposed to consumer-end use. Ive also been impressed with Bosch as well (I bought their small hand-held driver and it has an impressive amount of torque and battery life, a great little tool for around-the-house). DeWalt USED to be a very good brand but years back they were bought by Black and Decker and they started using plastic internal gears, and really lowered the quality.

Anything you buy should have a case to protect the tool and keep it and its accessories organized, he will appreciate this GREATLY.

• Moojoo

If necessary, ask his parents or friends for help choosing. Otherwise, I'd default to Makita. The ones I have experience with are all super good ones, and have lasted a long time.

Sounds like he would want a cordless one, too. If all else fails, fill a box with a few rocks with a picture of a drill in it and tell him you're taking him drill shopping and let him pick out his own.

Every guy would love a hammer drill/impact driver combo kit. You can get 'em for $160-180. My personal preference is RIGID brand. They're light, compact, powerful, and the batteries seem to last longer than other brands.

Source(s): Years of construction experience
  • Les

How about get him a gift card to Lowe's or Home Depot? That way he can pick out his own tool. That's part of the fun, and picking out tools can be very subjective.

tools are very personal to a craftsman who uses them all the time. the best bet is a gift cart to a tool place. He can pick out one that feels right in his hands.

Give him the money with a picture of a drill. He'll pick out the one he wants.

He's really wanting you to go buy sex toys, attach them to the end of the shaft, and then let him drill you with that.

Even though he hasn't said that, I promise you that is what he really wants.

buy him condoms