Why do I have so much pain in my back after a Total Hip Replacement?

I had a total hip replacement in 09 and the Dr put in a hip 'for an athlete' and I find now that I walk side to side, with one leg longer than the other. I must still walk with a cane. I believe the larger hip has ruined my back and thrown it all out of whack.

Xrays show the hip is placed properly. But xrays of my back show that I have every disc in my back disintegrating from arthritis. I have had mild Scoliosis for as long as I can remember. I have Arthritis almost everywhere, but especially in my back, hips, feet, hands and fingers. I have heel spurs in each foot that I walk on daily. I wear orthodics to help with that.

I was in a 5 car pile up in April & I was rear ended by a farm truck.I have been in physio therapy since the accident. Every step I take hurts and I am tired of being in pain on a daily basis and all the time.

The pain in my back, shoulders, neck, hips and feet is almost unbearable and I am prescribed 2 Hydromorph contin 30 mgs twice a day. I was taking oxycontin and they worked just fine, but with our Gov't creating all the hype about oxycontins they were replaced with oxyneos and now I am down to taking Hydromorph contin (extended release). They are not taking the pain away but they do take the edge off.

My doctor is hesitant to refer me to a pain clinic, saying that they will not give me as much as he does for pain medication.

Is this true? Or will they be able to help me manage my pain?

I am suffering because of people who abuse prescription drugs and I know that I am only one voice out of many who will not get adequate pain relief due to these circumstances and it is a horrible way to live, in pain.

Any suggestions? Answers or help will be much appreciated.

Thank You

Favorite Answer

I know the feeling,, I've been in pain and I've been a chronic pain patient for 13 years thanks to being rear ended by a drunk,,

your doctor is giving you more medication than a pain management clinic will unless you live in south florida

The hydromorphone is far stronger than the oxy's,,, I'm on 30mg oxy's and have been for many years and as long as you are not abusing your meds stick with your doctor,, he is telling you the truth

Opana is stronger than oxycodone,, many times stronger but for some people the oxycodone works better,,, that's why it's better to talk with your doctor instead of a bunch of strangers on yahoo

The real problem is not the government,,, it's kids and adult that abuse them,, I see questions on here from kids & adults asking about opiates,, if they could only see how abusing them ends they would give everything if they had never heard of them,, it's a story that never ends well

I became a heroin addict because of pain,,,, that was stupid and I still regret it,,, but it took a few years before I was actually able to say my pain was controlled

here are a few sites I use

http://painfoundation.org/

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/default.htm

http://nih.gov/

Source(s): I'm a current chronic pain patient and I have many years dealing with pain, doctors, and drug addicts
  • ?

Hip replacement is no easy surgery, the pre/mental leading up to the ordeal and the latter, being the physio....Doctor hesitant ??? Time for a second opinion. True, one person suffers for the abuse of others abuse.

Your pain is constant and that of a knawing one.

My brother had 2 knee replacements and traumatic it was.

Do get the 2nd opinion.

My personal best to you.

The one thing the scans don't show the dr.'s is tight muscles and you have lots of them in your body causing the pains you are having. Your back muscles are tight and pulling the vertebrae together with enough force to cause the disc problems between them. A car accident always results in neck and back pains, all coming from the muscles in those areas. When you go to physical therapy they have you strengthen the muscles which is adding pressure into the already tight muscles to keep you in the pain you are having. To get rid of the pains the muscles have to be released in order to free up the tight ones causing the pains and pulling vertebrae together to cause problems on the discs and here's how to release your back and neck muscles to get relief to those areas:

Back:

(do while sitting on a chair)

Place your left hand on your left leg next to your body. Place your right hand over your left shoulder, fingers over the back and the palm in the front, and firmly pull down on them and hold. After 30 seconds slowly lower your body forward and to the outside of your left leg, keeping your left arm as straight as possible. When you reach your lap remain there for another 10 seconds, then release the pressure but rest there for another 30 seconds. Then reverse your hand positions and do your right side.

For best results relax your body first by taking a deep breath and exhaling then remain this relaxed.

Neck:

Place your hands behind your head so your fingers meet in the middle of your neck. Press into the neck with a moderate pressure and hold. After 45 seconds slowly lower your head as far as you can, then remove the pressure from the muscles but continue holding your head down for another 30 seconds.

If the back muscles are pressing into the sciatic nerve it will send pains into your legs as well, but when they moved the muscles around in your thigh they probably didn't release them either so the pain is still happening in that muscle as well so here's how to release it to get rid of the pain:

Thigh muscle:

Sit on a chair with your leg partially extended to where it feels comfortable. Wrap both hands around the muscle about 2 inches behind your knee. Press in with both hands and hold a firm pressure on the muscle. Now relax, take a deep breath and exhale, then remain this relaxed. After 20 seconds or so you should feel the muscle releasing. As it’s a big one it’s going to continue to do so for about a minute or so. When you no longer notice any releasing happening, slowly slide your foot back up to the chair, then release the pressure on the muscle but continue resting your foot by the chair for another 30 seconds.

apply heat to it and take ibuprofen every 4-6 hours keep hydrated...........good luck