What religious ritual do you think is the strangest?

What religious ritual or any societal ritual do you think is the strangest? I can name so many but being a prior member of the Mormon church baptism for the dead is just strange on so many levels.

Favorite Answer

Joseph Campbell being interviewed by Bill Moyers told of a tribe in which a young virgin is chose, and they dress her up and bring her to this big hut they build.

And then the greatest warrior will go in and lay on her, and they will have sex, and as soon as they're finished, while they lay there, the villagers pull apart the hut supports and it caves in on them, killing them both.

Or maybe ancient Mayan basketball in which they play with a heavy stone, and the winner has the honor of having his head cut off as a sacrifice.

I'm ex Mormon, also. Baptisms for the dead are weird, but I think the Temple Endowment is WAY weirder.

Really bizarre stuff.

I'm with the circumcision people. But I take it one step further. I think the Orthodox Jewish tradition of the mohel, after removing the foreskin, then putting his mouth on the child's penis to suck out the blood is just horrifying in modern society (and ridiculously unhygienic).

Catholic communion. That they ask people to believe something that is contrary to what they see. That wafer is not the body of Christ! He was not made of crackers!

• Gift MUST...christ Mass...

Male and female circumcision..

If God made us perfectly, then I don't see why we need to mutilate children's genitals..

This one-

"Behold, I the Lord will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it." - Malachi 2:3

-----------------------------------

This is your face---► ‹(◑‿◐)›

This is your stinkin, smelly face after god spreads stinkin, smelly POOP all over it---► ~~‹(██)›~~

-----------------------------------

dung definition-

dung /noun. excrement, especially of animals; manure.

------------------------------

I guess god is not a very clean, sanitary guy! Animal POOP contains all kinds of harmful things like harmful bacteria, parasites, worms, disease causing organisms, etc...

• Neerp

You have obviously never read the Bible....

circumcision