For soldiers: what branch of the military did you sign up for and why?

Now that you signed up for it do you regret it? or are you happy?

Favorite Answer

Might I suggest you try asking that question without referencing the word soldier as your point in asking is to get different services' experiences--perhaps why all those answering are Army. I am also army and I signed up because I knew of the benefits for college as my family is a large multi-service/officer family, so I had connections as well. I am currently studying for a BS in Aerospace Engineering paid for by your taxes. As for happy, I currently miss even the training I went through. Basic was fun if stressful, and my advanced training was biomedical specialist which might end up influencing my future career choice because I liked it so much. If being around people with a strong and sometimes intensely aggravated personality doesn't bother you, and if you are truly disciplined I'd say Army is fine...if you want to travel Navy is also a good option. You may find Air Force a slightly better environment where it comes to interaction with other airmen, I also found them more lax. Marines are for the strongwilled, focused, and non easily insulted. I worked on a triforce base which is where I get these notions. I'm currently looking into going officer after college, something I would strongly suggest to you if you're a brain more than a grunt.

Source(s): Army 325th CSH
  • marget

The Marines are great self-promoters, yet there is relatively no longer something militarily that Marines do this the army does not do the two nicely and for longer. (LOL) Marines have spiffy uniforms and distinctive delight. they try nicely and on that foundation I appreciate them. the army is the main important and maximum distinctive provider, with the quickest advertising costs and widest occupation options. It bears the load of any floor conflict, and has the longest deployments (12+ months). The Air stress is a technical provider. whilst the AF does setting up, it in basic terms deploys them for 6 months, tops. i think in case you're finding for the closest ingredient to nevertheless being a civilian, this is the existence. The army is going to sea. plenty. it relatively is demanding in case you have a relatives. And in case you do unlike residing in a steel closet for 6 months at a time, and 5-minute showers, do no longer circulate there. actually all of them have execs and cons. i might connect the army back, however. I even have greater holiday concepts. :-)

The army is the only branch that refers to it's personal by the term soldier. Anyways,I originally planned to join the air force when I graduated from high school but I ended up joining the army instead three years later. I don't regret and it is my greatest accomplishment thus far and I'm proud. I.wasn't happy where I was stationed,but I loved the army.

• Dean M

Army, it was sort of a family tradition. My parents met during the Korean war. My father was an infantry officer and met my mother, a nurse in Korea. Two of my older brothers actually joined the Marines, but me and my younger sister went the Army route.

There is not one moment, even the sad and truly shitty ones, that I regret. I did 20 years and have only been retired for a couple of years now and I still have some days where I would put the uniform back on.

Soldiers are people in the Army only.

Army- Soldiers

Navy- Sailor

Air Force- Airman

Marine Corps- Marine

Coast Guard- Guard

Since in only one branch of the US military are their personnel referred to a "soldiers" then that is the branch they signed up for.

Can you figure out which branch that happens to be?

Army

To fly helicopters and jump out of planes

Didn't take me long to figure out I don't like flying in helicopters much less flying them

And despite being Airborne and a Paratrooper a good deal of my career I'm not crazy about jumping out of planes either...I do however like the title of Airborne

A distant 3rd was college...I have earned a BS in Engineering, MS in Biology and MA in History all paid for by Uncle Sam

So no..I do not regret it

Source(s): Me, 23 years in the US Army so far