Why is apostasy in Islam punishable by ...?

death?

Update:

Hugo, are you really Canadian? I thought they were smarter.

Update 2:

Hugo, I believe that in Christ there is forgiveness.

Update 3:

Hugo, it's not an evasion. No need to polarize and jump to conclusions. Notice that you did not actually address the question.

Update 4:

Hugo, once again, Jesus said, "Cast the first stone IF you are without sin." Do you understand the meaning of His words? Thanks.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Says the guy who believes women who have abortions should be convicted of murder...

Edit: I actually like Drew's answer.

He's right, it's Fundamentalism.

Christian Fundamentalism = Islamic Fundamentalism = FSM Fundamentalism

@ Jack: Oh, so you're not one of the crazy USA Fundies that believe that? Because if you think abortion is murder, you think women who get them should be convicted of murder. Simple logic, smart guy :-D

@ Jack: Cute evasion. If you think abortion is murder, you think women who have abortions are murderers. If you think murders should be punished by the law, you think women who get abortion should be imprisoned. The logics easy to follow kid.

So just give a response, do you think women who get abortions should be put in prison for murder?

Because most USA Fundies (whack job was rude so I removed it) think that way.

@ Jack: I have no idea, I just know it is wrong. That's my answer to your question.

Now answer mine, do you think women who get an abortion should be tried as murderers?

Because if you do, that's EXACTLY the same as apostasy being punishable by death, so you support both behaviours.

@ Jack: Yes, and that passage has to do mainly with your actions. I'm asking about your opinion.

• 8 years ago

Apostasy in Islam is commonly defined in Islam as the rejection in word or deed of one's former religion (apostasy) by a person who was previously a follower of Islam. The Qur'an itself does not prescribe any earthly punishment for apostasy; Islamic scholarship differs on its punishment, ranging from execution – based on an interpretation of certain hadiths – to no punishment at all as long as they "do not work against the Muslim society or nation

Source(s): wiki//
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Objection to Islaam is often raised against the death penalty prescribed for apostasy

(abandonment of religion). Since religion in Western civilization came to be looked at as

a personal choice which cannot be enforced by either Church or state, to execute a person

for leaving his religion would naturally seem extreme.

1. It should be kept in mind that when capital punishment for murder was abolished in

the UK in 1965 it was retained for treason and piracy with violence. And it was also

the legal punishment for setting fire to Her Majesty’s ships and dockyards until

1971.13 Most countries have executed its citizens for treason. Treason is an act of

rebellion against the state. State secrets are given to other countries which may not be

at war with the state.

2. Islaam is not merely a religion but a complete system of life. Its rules not only govern

individual conduct but also shape the basic laws and public order in the Muslim state.

Apostasy encourages the rejection of law and order of society. It is an act of treason

against the state which would encourage rebellion among the weaker citizens.

3. One who personally abandons the faith and leaves the country would not be hunted

down and assassinated. Nor would one who apostates privately and remains in the

Muslim state conforming to the outward rules of the state be tracked down and

executed. The practice of setting up inquisition courts to examine people’s faith is not

a part of Islaamic legal tradition.

4. There is no compulsion in joining Islaam. Anyone may join the religion, but it should

not be taken lightly. Only those who are serious should join. The death penalty

discourages those who might think to join the religion in order to undermine it from

within. The apostasy law was first instituted to stop the undermining of the state. Jews

in Madeenah were converting to Islaam and apostating shortly thereafter in order to

destroy the confidence of newly converted Muslims (Soorah Aal ‘Imraan (3): 72).

5. The death penalty is mainly for apostates who cooperate with enemies at war with the

Muslim state or those who gather people against Islaam and fight against the state.

6. Western Civilization executes its citizens for giving away state secrets; something

material. Islaamic law prescribes the death penalty for something far more serious.

Rebellion against God is a far greater crime than rebellion against state secrets

• 8 years ago

first of all i should say that there are two kinds of apostate in islam:

first one is the one whose both of parents are muslim, so he is born as a moslem, then he converts from islam. only this type of apostasy is punishable by death.

if the apostate is not born from muslim parents, he is not punished by death.

this kind of punishment has been done in other religions like christianity. for example in Deuteronomy chapter 13 and in Hebrews chapter 10 you can find such evidences.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

The same reason treason is punishable by death in your own country.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Most do not practice this, only extremists. And its because that was a cultural norm back in the day. Its still wrong..

• Drew
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

fundamentalists

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.