mark
mark asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 8 years ago

Do you allow your 18-20 year old kid to have a beer or glass of wine when home?

For the record, it is legal for a parent to allow this in their own home.

I have let my daughter have a glass of wine on occasion. I think it was a very good decision. Alcohol has been de-mystified and she's been pretty good at communicating on the subject at college with the understanding that Im very strong on the being responsible and safe aspect when she drinks (and rest assured, college kids will find ways to drink).

• Minnow
    Favorite Answer

We don't drink, so it would be bizarre to allow my child, no matter their age, to do something we don't. BTW, when my husband was in college he did not drink until he was 21, and only a couple of times. I never did. So "college kids will find ways" is an over generalization.

• Ian

In many other countries the drinking age is 16. I'm from The Netherlands, and you can buy beer and wine there at 16yo, and liquor at 18yo. My parents have let me have the occasional drink since I was 12yo. I'm 28 now, and I've been drunk once (needed to feel what that was like - it sucked), but other than that I usually have a few drinks per month or so. I'd just feel hypocritical not letting my kids drink at 18-20yo - they're adults, so it should be their decision. I would not let them get drunk in my house, they'd have to go somewhere else to do that, but that would apply to anyone - I would not be happy if my kids at 21+ got drunk in my house either.

Source(s): My kids are 2yo and 5yo, and are a bit too young to get entire glasses of alcohol, lol.

Haha I'm 15 and my dad let me drink beer and wine since I was 12, I think there's nothing wrong with it.

Yes it works because my son does not go party his *** off in college because he knows he can drink at home

Im 18 and don't have a child but from my opinion I don't think 18-20 year olds should drink even if the parents allow it. I think they should what till there 21. I believe if their parents let them do it at home, there children might go out in public and do it with friends. Which then can lead to trouble.

yes

• y

For the record, it's illegal in the US. So no, I don't break laws and then justify my actions.

i think you are a very good dad,.....

nothing wrong in it.......!!!!!!!!

enjoying life with out fear is a wonderful feeling........i never get that feel........

you daughter is lucky,!!!!!!!!!