What should I learn next in order to advance in my skills as a guitarist?

I've been teaching myself electric guitar (I started with acoustic) for a little over a year now. I've learned most of the chords, can play in any key you tell me to (C, G, etc.) can read tabs and a little bit of sheet music, know some of the tricks like alternate picking, pick slides, harmonics, hammer ons and pull offs and such, and I can play a lot of easy songs like Green Day, Sum 41, and a few more complicated songs like Lynyrd Skynyrd and other classic rock bands . I really want to take it to the next level though. I can't even play a lot of the solos in the Green Day songs I know, and I know their music is so easy. I've heard some other guitarists talk about things like pentatonic scales and blues sclaes and other music theory stuff.

Basically, if that's too long to read, I'm done being a beginner guitarist and I just want to know how I can improve my overall playing and technique, but especially how to play solos. Any help would be appreciated, and even giving me some resources like books or websites would be great.

• Moo
    Favorite Answer

Check out Justinguitar.com. He is a music teacher and has a lesson plan from how you can progress from beginner to advanced. He has a ton of online videos and riffs/ licks he suggests you learn. Even like tiny exercises to get your fingers moving very quicky and such. Lots of technique stuff there. Check him out and I hope that helped!

Source(s): Justinguitar.com

Green days songs are super easy. Maybe try some Metallica (for example). That could be a next step up!

Metallica

Practice the solos you want to learn. Practice is the key to improvement.