General dentists studying duration before working? basic info? salary?

How many years do I have to study to be a general dentist? Can anyone explain to me the processes of becoming a general dentist in florida? As i in college, 3 years of learning, 1 giant test that determines if you pass, etc etc. About how much profit will I earn if I work for someone in Florida? Will I get out of school young or old? I know that I have to keep studying while I work but when do I actually start working? Any other details would be great. Thanks in advance! Please leave any downsides of being a general dentist

Favorite Answer

College: 4 years undergrad, 4 years dental school. Before you get into dental school, you will take the DAT. To be board certified, you will take the board exams. The state will likely require a licensing test.

I don't know what you consider "young" and I don't know what you consider "old". It's 8 years of education + optional fellowships, so if you are 18 when you graduate high school, 18 + 8 = 26.

Earnings: If you work for someone, then your contract will dictate your earnings. Whether that's production, collection, or salary is up to your employer.

Downsides: Know your market. Where I am, the market is absolutely flooded with dentists. I'm about to go run an errand about 3 miles away and I will pass 7 clinics on the way there, each with 1-10 dentists.