Can Republicans ever win another national election?

It's clear that Republicans were stunned by the results of this year's election. That's difficult to explain when the outcome was not only so predictable but actually predicted. But it does illustrate the poor position they hold with regard to the Electoral map. It seems unlikely that there will be fewer minorities voting in four or eight years. Their positions with regard to hispanics, women, gays and, well, pretty much anyone who isn't a white evangelical Christian are so out of sync with the country at large they're becoming less and less relevant with each passing year. So the question becomes, is it even possible for Republicans to win the White house in the foreseeable future?

Thank you MELT. I am quite young, only 45 years old. But I don't think that's what you meant.

Fester, I think you're very wrong. First, Bush and his "amnesty" ideals couldn't get nominated today. Second, no matter your thoughts on the whole Florida thing, Bush barely won in 2000 with 271 Electoral votes. I'm not a Bush fan, but will admit he has charisma. He won very close elections against two, if we're honest, poor Democratic candidates. In the last election, the Republicans nominated the only candidate that Democrats feared. No only that, but the President was very vulnerable in a poor economy. Yet he won by a wider margin than Bush did either time. And that doesn't addres the changing demographics in America whcih will only be worse for Republicans in four and eight years.

Joseph B - as I'm sure you already know, Presidents aren't elected by popular vote, so your observation is pointless. In fact, that's the very question I am asking: because of the way we elect the President, is it possible for the Republican party to win?

Let me ask it this way- what states will they turn over to win? Pennsylvania? Nevada? New Mexico? I don't see a path that is getting easier for them. But I do see states like Arizona and Texas moving out of the solid Republican column in the next decade.

Best Answer

Your under estimating Republicans... Especially the Neo-Cons.. If it can't be done, on a federal level.. They'll do it, in the states... Their working toward, only white, European decedent male land owners... Having a vote...

News flash - the democrats went through a similar situation when George W Bush won in 2000.

Republicans went through this when Barry Goldwater lost to LBJ, then Nixon was elected 4 years later.

Politics is like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it will change.

Something could happen in the world or Obama could make some serious gaff (Monica Lewinsky) that turns everyone off to the democrats.

After the Watergate break-in came to light and Gerald Ford was defeated in his election bid, I thought it would be a long time before the GOP held the White-House again. I underestimated the power of the sales pitch the Republicans could mount.

I may not know the exact mechanism, but I do think there is enough money and enough resourceful individuals who seek power out in the party to mount another such sales-pitch.

Source(s): The idea doesn't make me happy, but ignoring it is not healthy.

Funny, the popular vote difference was only 2 %, so to call the republican party dead is a little premature, especially since they won the house and actually added to their majority there. As for minorities, don't count on them, typically Asians and Hispanics tend to be conservative and more in line with Republican values. As these two groups become more main stream, they will be the future of the Republican Party.

Yes there is a chance for them to win a National Election. Remember there are still a lot of young people who are too young to vote and their vote can decide the outcome of an election plus the guys who have been voting for awhile.

As for now while Minorities,Immigrants are still voter active there is going to be a Democrat in office for awhile. Not like that's a bad thing.

• zeoli

in case you're implying that Republicans will in simple terms win the presidency if racism will become usual lower back then you definately haven't any clue of the history of the civil rights stream. In 1957, whilst President Eisenhower signed the 1st civil rights invoice into regulation, it regrettably had each and all the teeth taken out of it by democrats like then Senator Lyndon Johnson. later on as president, he positioned forth incredibly an identical regulation with the teeth positioned decrease back in in 1965. whilst he heard that the invoice had exceeded (with incredibly frequently Republican help) he became quoted as asserting on Air stress One, "sturdy! i'm going to have them ni**ers balloting Democrat for the subsequent 200 years!" And no longer something has replaced. Democrats care no longer something with regards to the plight of minorities interior u . s .. they only see them as votes. issues interior the minority communities are actually not to any extent further appropriate, in certainty they're plenty worse than they have been in 1965. So who're the real racists? Hmmmmm? the rationalization why Republicans ought to no longer win yet another presidential election interior the close to destiny is with the help of the fact they at the instant have their heads up their behinds!

To be fair - it's really only the extreme evangelical/tea party factions that are permanently frozen out.

They will control the party via mass-denial until their 2016 thrashing, after which the republicans will rethink themselves into more of the modern libertarian party they are supposed to be.

That's why this last election was so bitter - a generation of very ideological, very determined, very devisive people knew damn will this was their last chance to go for gold.

The republican regenesis, and the wellbeing of the world in general, will be helped along considerably by the dwindling supply of people who were alive during Jim Crow. The young have much more inclusive attitudes to race, religion and orientation...

EDIT: @joseph b - that's my point. They SHOULD be able to court several minority elements but they CAN'T until the old guard is either dead or humiliated.

• MEL T

You might be a young sappling, but Dems wre saying the same thing in 2004. Republicans were saying the same thing in 2000. We're kind of an every 8 year kind of country.

Edit: Hey. You're older then me. You remember this.

They have to initiate a "We've re-invented ourselves" campaign. Like an old brand rebranding and refreshing it's image.

Of course, it will all be window dressing. But I think it's what moderates want to hear, and I think it's what the GOP leadership are willing to try, short of actually becoming something essentially different in nature -- which they have zero intention of doing, of course.

Yeah, we were kicking @s$ from 1981-1993, and in the 1984 election, we won 49 states, just because the libbies got obama reelected doesn't mean he is staying in office