Does a submarine go faster underwater than a boat/ship can above water?

im watching The League of Extraordinary Gentleman and Captain Nemo boasts about the Nautilas and thus my question....

Can a submarine, especially one with a point front, go faster underwater than a ship/boat/carrier or whathaveyou can above water?
Update: this is like school as i want to know why or why not so please show your work.
Update 2: thank you fellow helpers of the free world, i appreciate the thorough thought you all have put into this. i really am just curious about it and really was watching that movie.... i wanted to see your sources for this because it is most likely a fact-based answer and i am thankful for your contributions. the period... show more thank you fellow helpers of the free world, i appreciate the thorough thought you all have put into this. i really am just curious about it and really was watching that movie.... i wanted to see your sources for this because it is most likely a fact-based answer and i am thankful for your contributions. the period for giving the points to the best answer has not yet expired, obviously since i just asked this question a few hours ago, so i will ride it out a bit to see if there are any other answers that pique my interest.

thank you for your help, i hope i am able to help just one person the way you all have helped me today, have a great day.