What school in New York City should I go to?

I'm 99.9% sure I'm going to College in New York City, because I really love the city. I am looking at schools like NYU and Columbia and they are both $50,000 a year. Do they have good Financial Aid? Also what are other schools in the City? I looked at community colleges in Manhattan and they are definitely in my price range, but can I get anything out of that? What are other Colleges in New York City. I am an A/B and rarely C student, and I'm still a Freshman...What should I do?

• LJ
    Favorite Answer

There is a difference between "community college" and a "public university".

A public University provides a variety of schools, from community colleges which give A.A. degrees, to 4 year colleges that grant B.A. degrees, to graduate schools that grant M.A. degrees and Ph.D.s, to Medical or Law schools.

Public universities are paid for partially through tax dollars and partially through tuition. Because it is subsidized by tax dollars, it is always MUCH cheaper than a private university or college.

A community college is only 2 years (but they are also, usually public.) It only grants an A.A. degree, which is not anywhere as good as a B.A (which is only granted in a 4 year college.)

In NYC, there are 2 public universities -

The State University of NY (also known as SUNY)

The City University of NY (also known as CUNY)

Most of the SUNY schools are outside NYC, but there are a few very specialized campuses in the city.

CUNY is entirely within the confines of NYC.

The best 4 year CUNY schools are:

Brooklyn College in Brooklyn

Queens College in Queens

City College of NY in Manhattan

Hunter College in Manhattan

You will find these schools MUCH cheaper than schools like NYU or Columbia.

EDIT: I saw someone else suggested "Stony Brook University"

That person is referring to the Stony Brook campus of SUNY. It is NOT in NYC, but in Long Island. It is actually nowhere near NYC!

Also, I should mention that the CUNY schools, which I recommended, have very little dorm space - nowhere near enough for the vast majority of kids who go to school there. If you go to a CUNY school, you'll either have to live with relatives (if you have any in NYC) or get an apartment (which is VERY expensive!)

Stony Brook University

You don’t have the grades for Columbia and possibly not even for NYU

http://www.cappex.com/colleges/New-York-University...

You will have a good shot at CUNY schools and the tuition is lower.

Maybe you could try St. Johns university in queens, new York. It's a really pretty school and the academics are good also

Source(s): Myself
  • Diane

Doubt it. I can't remember last time schools closed here