Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

*****!!!how would you describe the melody, rhythm, harmony and tempo of Prelude in C Sharp Minor Opus 3 No. 2?

by Sergei Rachmaninoff

Favorite Answer

I would describe it thus:

This is homework you should be doing yourself. How about LISTENING to the music??

• bka

first i would listen to the music.

then i'd probably head over to imslp.org and look for a legal public domain copy of the score.

to describe melody, i would listen for whether it contained a lot of stepwise motion or if it had more disjunct leaps. if the melody is clear in a top voice, or hidden midrange with some accompaniment above it and below it. are phrases long or is it more short motifs? are phrase lengths predictable 4 and 8 bar patterns? or are they uneven?

to describe rhythm, i would talk about if it had a strong rhythmic pulse, or if it was obscure. if it had a lot of rhythmic repetition or if it was more unpredictable. are beats being emphasized or is there a lot of syncopation?

to describe harmony, i'd probably quickly look over the score for chromaticism. and then i'd analyze it... but... i always think this is a terrible question to ask music 101 kids who have no analysis skills. but one hint about the starting point for the harmony is right there in the title (do you think its major or minor?)

to talk about tempo, i would initially just decide if it sounded fast slow or medium. then i would keep a beat while listening to the piece and notice if it is steady or if there are places where it speeds up and slows down, or places where it is suddenly faster or slower.

now that you have a starting point, these are just basic observational skills. it should take you less than an hour.

• klines

Rate, fie, fo, fum, I smell the blood of a lazybones! Has it ever happened to you to really hearken to the piece a couple of times, making notes, coming to your own conclusions and answering these questions for yoursellf? No, I notion now not. Humorous, I suggestion assignments were for you to do and gain knowledge of from, to not CHEAT and crib off others. Be warned some contributors right here clearly post deliberately improper answers to educate persons like you a lesson. DO YOUR possess HOMEWORK!

• sykes

Cost, fie, fo, fum, I odor the blood of a lazybones! Has it ever occurred to you to surely listen to the piece several times, making notes, coming to your possess conclusions and answering these questions for yoursellf? No, I concept now not. Funny, I idea assignments had been so that you can do and be taught from, not to CHEAT and crib off others. Be warned some contributors here actually submit deliberately incorrect answers to teach humans like you a lesson. DO YOUR possess HOMEWORK!

• ?

Melodic, rhythmic, and harmonic.