Is my hair loss genetic?

I'm a 19 year old guy. When I was 16, I started to lose hair and my friend pointed this out because he said he could see my scalp. Then, somehow, the hair loss stopped and it all grew back and my hair was normal. Then again when I turned 17, I started to lose hair, and my hair also started to become really... show more I'm a 19 year old guy. When I was 16, I started to lose hair and my friend pointed this out because he said he could see my scalp. Then, somehow, the hair loss stopped and it all grew back and my hair was normal. Then again when I turned 17, I started to lose hair, and my hair also started to become really thin. Its been like that ever since I was 17, and now I'm 19 and I'm still losing hair.

Now, a lot of people say that men who usually lose hair, have a lot of body hair. However I have extremely little body hair! I'm an Indian, and Indians are known to have a lot of body hair, but I have very little hair on my body. All of my friends have arm hair and hair all over their body, but out of all my friends, I am the guy with the LEAST body hair! I think even some of my white friends have more body hair than I do.

My dad had thick curly hair all his life, and he only started to go bald when he turned 45. My mom's dad also went bald when he was 35.

Another thing I've noticed is that my hairline is NOT receding. I'm losing hair all over my head, but my hairline is intact.

So is my hair loss genetic, or is it caused by some other factor?