Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 8 years ago

is ballast water normal water?

i've looked on google too many times go now i've given up!!! i need this for my school work. i need the answer then im done.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • JJJ
    Lv 6
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, ballast water is just normal water. It can be use to level a seagoing vessel. Or in the case of a submarine, it can be taken in to add enough weight to submerge the boat, then pumped out to rise to the surface. Not to be confused with bilge water which contains many contaniments, oil, fuel, ect.

Source(s): Four years Navy
  • 8 years ago

Ballast water discharges by ships can have a negative impact on the marine environment.

Cruise ships, large tankers, and bulk cargo carriers use a huge amount of ballast water, which is often taken on in the coastal waters in one region after ships discharge wastewater or unload cargo, and discharged at the next port of call, wherever more cargo is loaded. Ballast water discharge typically contains a variety of biological materials, including plants, animals, viruses, and bacteria. These materials often include non-native, nuisance, exotic species that can cause extensive ecological and economic damage to aquatic ecosystems.

Source(s): en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballast_water_discharge_and_the_environment#section_2
  • Pete J
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Ballast water from ships often is contaminated with bunker fuel & is pumped to a storage depot inshore... Sometimes it's treated before being transfered back onto other ships, requiring ballast. If for any reason ships dunp at sea then it distroys the fish enviroments & if the captains are ever court then the get heavily fined!

Bunker fuel is used to propel the ships along, similar to diesel inly thicker!

Cheers!

• 8 years ago

If you are on a ship, they usually just use sea water. So I would assume that they just use normal water

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Yes, its normal water.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.