Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 8 years ago

to transfer a title from a parent to child in texas?

If a parent is transferring a car title over to their kid and taxes, title and registration have all been paid by the dealer..is it just the gift tax that has to be paid to transfer the title to the child...or would the person receiving the car (me) have to pay taxes again? I'm so confused!!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

This is from the Texas DMV site below:

What steps should I follow to give a vehicle as a gift to a friend or relative?

Please give the recipient your (signed) negotiable title and request that the recipient complete a title application (form VTR 130-U), which must be provided to their county tax office.

Effective immediately, when a motor vehicle is transferred as a result of a gift, the title application must be accompanied by the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts Form 14-317, Affidavit of Motor Vehicle Gift Transfer, and must be filed in person by recipient or donor. The donor and recipient must both sign the affidavit and title application. The "$10 Gift Tax" only applies to a person who receives the vehicle from a:

• Spouse

• Parent or Stepparent

• Grandparent or Grandchild

• Child or Stepchild

• Sibling

• Guardian

• A decedent’s estate

• A vehicle donated to or given by a Nonprofit IRC Sec. 501(c)(3)

On the title application, the recipient who qualifies should check the "$10 Gift Tax - Affidavit required. Use Comptroller Form 14-317." box found in Section 21. The recipient will have to provide proof of auto insurance at the county tax office to register the vehicle.

• rehak
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Title Transfer Texas

• 4 years ago

Texas Title Transfer

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avL5u

Just follow the new rules, and it will cost you $10 Effective September 1, 2009, when a motor vehicle is transferred as a result of a gift, the title application must be accompanied by the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts Form 14-317, Affidavit of Motor Vehicle Gift Transfer. The donor and recipient must both sign the affidavit and title application. The "$10 Gift Tax" only applies to a person who receives the vehicle from a: •Spouse •Parent or Stepparent •Grandparent or Grandchild •Child or Stepchild •Sibling •Guardian •A decedent’s estate •A vehicle donated to or given by a Nonprofit IRC Sec. 501(c)(3) On the title application, the recipient who qualifies should check the "$10 Gift Tax - Affidavit required. Use Comptroller Form 14-317." box found in Section 21. The recipient will have to provide proof of auto insurance at the county tax office to register the vehicle.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

I thought they gave you a handgun at birth in Texas? Federal law requires an individual to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a federally liscensed dealer. I think I have read that you can buy one in Texas from a private sale at 18 but the internet is full of too much bad info to know for sure. I don't believe Texas requires any registrations for any guns except in the case of carrying a concealed wepon which requires a permit. I am sure that Texas and Alaska must be the most liberal states when it comes to gun ownership/use etc.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Source(s): Vehicle Complete Record http://VinNumberLookup.gelaf.info/?X7Jk
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

There is no "gift" tax. There is only sales tax and all US states waive the sales tax for transfers of cars between close family members. If you are just giving a car to a family member, simply sign the title in the sellers portion and have them take it to the DMV, they will pay a title processing fee and buy plates, if desired and you are all set.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.